At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
We are seeking a Concept Art Lead to provide artistic vision on the Worldbuilding Team within Wizards' Digital Publishing. Our team is a centralized creative resource to provide worldbuilding services across our worlds and digital titles. We need an artistic leader and insightful collaborator who will identify visual language, develop conceptual style through concept art, commission outside artists, work with world-renowned concept art studios, and collaborate on thoughtful and detailed World Guides. We believe artistic talent and a collaborative, inclusive approach is the best way to craft outstanding worlds!
What You'll Do:
- Work with Creative Leads, Narrative Designers, and Creative Managers to establish visual targets and inspiration for art aspects of worldbuilding and visual design across multiple settings for digital games.
- Commission and lead a spectrum of Artists on a high volume of work full: identify freelance illustrators and studio partners alike, guide artists, partner closely with our Narrative team, and maintain healthy relationships with all our partners.
- Artistic leadership: provide constructive feedback in meetings and stand-up critiques.
- Engage in brainstorming sessions on new concepts, worlds, characters, and creatures and follow up with sketches and artwork.
- This role is a mix of hands-on concept art development and leadership responsibilities: when needed, roll up sleeves and execute art pieces and concepts.
What You'll Bring:
- 4+ years of visual leadership and concepting experience; you've shipping at least one title.
- A deep portfolio of concept art demonstrating proficiency in sketches, storyboards, and cover-quality finished art.
- Attention to detail, and excellent understanding of the building blocks of worldbuilding through visual design.
- Team leadership experience that shows ability to frame a vision, pitch to executives, and communicate ideas and expertise across teams and subject areas.
- Ability to demonstrate ownership over both conceptual worldbuilding and commissioned work, and to synthesize game mechanics, brand knowledge, and creative goals into clear and concise direction.
- Understanding of 3D videogame art tools and pipelines. Unreal experience is a plus!
- Foundational knowledge of core Wizards brands.
- BA or BFA in 3D Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, or similar.
- Must work on-site at our offices in the Seattle area and must be willing to travel (both when safe to do so).
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.