At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Do you delight in visualizing exciting new worlds, bold characters, and thrilling scenes through concept art? We’re seeking an outstanding Senior Concept Artist for our new Worldbuilding Team on Digital Publishing!
Our team is a centralized creative resource to provide worldbuilding services to the Creative Leads in Wizards Digital Publishing. We need an artistic leader and empathetic collaborator who will contribute to project and IP brainstorming sessions and engage and elevate the work of the Worldbuilding Team. You collaborate on thoughtful and detailed Style Guides and World Guides. This role will redesign existing concepts, support the art director in providing feedback to outside partners, and give presentations on concepting to educate and encourage our colleagues and partners. We're looking for a hardworking multitasker who is energized by working on a breadth of projects from mobile games to AAA console titles. This role requires the will to make strong, self-directed decisions, and the grace to work collaboratively alongside a capable team towards a common vision.
What You'll Do:
- Curate references, develop mood-boards, and illustrate original concepts from visual and written briefs.
- Develop inspirational mood pieces and digital paintings to help establish early tone and aspirations for new titles.
- Contribute creative new ideas and be forward-thinking in your visual designs.
- Collaborate with and support internal and external teams in worldbuilding efforts across multiple video game titles and platforms, building long-term relationships and continually working to raise the creative and artistic quality bar of WOTC video games.
What You'll Bring:
- Multiple shipped titles as a concept artist including work in PC, console and AAA development
- Ability to digitally iterate quickly via thumbnails/sketches/roughs, and to take concepts all the way to a rendered color final as needed
- Ability to work with the following subject matter across a variety of genres: Characters (costuming, weaponry), Environments (biomes, architecture), and VFX (visual treatments and animation key frames for VFX, spells or otherwise). Creature design and ability to model basic concept art blockouts in a 3D software package is a plus
- Ability to receive and implement feedback, and provide written and visual feedback to external artists as needed
- Excellent foundational art skills in areas such as anatomy, shape language, color, composition, lighting, perspective, and communicating clear emotional tone, with a stronger focus on creative problem-solving via iterative concept art over polished renderings or illustrations
- Solid understanding of current video game Concept Art processes and pipelines
- A diplomatic, empathetic, and collaborative approach
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.