At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in
Are you an accomplished professional in the interactive entertainment industry who thrives on championing the value of worldbuilding, delivering world-class stories on schedule and within budget?
Wizards of the Coast is looking for an experienced Narrative Design Lead to join our Digital Publishing & Licensing team!
The Narrative Lead develops and innovates on our stories across multiple titles with both internal and external development partners. With deep experience in modern storytelling and world-building techniques, this role leads successful projects through critical insight and imaginative vision. This role will help bring our most beloved brands to digital platforms and experiences.
Reporting to the project’s creative lead, you collaborate to define the narrative vision for our digital games and execute on that vision with excellence.
What You'll Do
- Drive the fictional fabric of a product, either as an embedded team resource or a temporary contributing resource.
- Adapt management and communication styles to accommodate different perspectives and ideas, often across multiple cultures.
- Develop narrative options, alternatives, and solutions for game play elements, translating world concepts into game design elements.
- Build worlds and create world guides. Supply scripts and specifications to support story development, character dialogue, in-game text, world definition, copywriting, copyediting, tutorials, and cinematics.
- Advise, direct, and facilitate teams in development of game stories, worlds, rule sets, lore and characters, providing mentorship on features and asset development across multiple games.
- Lead long-term relationships with internal teams and external partners, consistently raising the quality bar for WOTC titles.
- Lead and mentor a full spectrum of narrative designers and writers, across multiple experience levels.
What You'll Bring:
- 4+ years in a narrative design or similar position with a consistent record of leading teams to success.
- Extensive experience building worlds, stories, and story mechanics that players love and believe in.
- Flexibility - comfortable adapting between different writing styles and tones and working independently or as part of the design team.
- Outstanding communication, diplomacy, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge of game mechanics and mechanical/creative interactions with experience working within existing IP guidelines.
- In-depth industry knowledge, standard methodologies, and emerging technologies relevant to narrative design.
- Detailed understanding of all aspects of narrative design development process, including design methodology, craftsmanship, production and familiarity with structuring dialogue systems.
- Experience writing brand bibles, detailed scripts, and game glossaries.
- Willingness to travel in a safe, post-vaccine world.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please contact email@example.com.