At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you a leader with an established understanding of game design, who can accurately balance game, story, and marketing?
We are seeking a Game Design Manager to lead, empower, and support a diverse team of Duel Master's TCG (Trading Card Game) Game Designers. In this role, you will work with internal and external partners in the US and Japan to collaborate story with game-play, coordinate resourcing and game design vision, and build accurate schedules. If you flourish in a fast-paced, high-accuracy environment with tight schedules, and have an appetite for creating innovative products and processes, this role is for you.
What you'll do
- Lead Game Design projects and teams collaborating closely with the Tokyo Game Design Manager to build a vision for fun and exciting game designs.
- Manage schedules and teams to build high-quality card sets for each Duel Masters product, and partner with our Japanese team to weave story, marketing, and gameplay into a cohesive whole.
- Ensure that game design targets are appropriate for each product, whether the product is intended for kids, for core DM players, or for both.
- Engage, develop, and acquire the best people for your team.
- Build relationships with our partner companies, getting to know their capabilities in order to achieve the highest quality gameplay.
- Collaborate with studio leadership and the Japan New Business Director to plan future product releases far enough in advance to give us the optimal ability to build the best product possible.
- Support innovative product ideas by collaborating with the Executive Producer and the Production Manager to ensure we have the best processes and structure for future challenges and opportunities.
What you'll bring
- 2+yrs experience managing and leading a Game Design team.
- 5+ years experience playing TCG’s, preferably Duel Masters or Kaijudo.
- Passion for games and understanding of Japanese culture.
- Deep understanding of TCG markets and Organized Play.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to effectively collaborate with all professional levels.
- You're driven and thrive in a fast-paced environment, balancing many concurrent projects under tight deadlines.
- Fluency in the Japanese language is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.