WHAT IS THIS ROLE ALL ABOUT?
This short-term Japanese Senior Graphic Designer contract role through Tapfin is responsible for being the main liaison with various brand stakeholders with the goal of understanding and documenting the experience and graphic design vision for multiple products and their included components. They will be expected to interface with internal and external stakeholders in Japanese and English to accomplish this goal. They will be responsible for performing graphic design work, supervising, evaluating, and guiding the graphic design and production work of other graphic designers for a game/entertainment product-line targeted specifically at Japanese boys ages 8-16. This role is responsible for the execution of the above activities from concept through to the final printed product.
Day to Day Responsibilities For This Wizard
- Leads, assigns, evaluates, and guides work of graphic designers, production specialists and other creative staff by providing hands-on design direction.
- As needed, performs concepting and graphic design work to ensure assets or production files are completed on time for key schedule deadlines.
- Engages with stakeholders to ensure that creative guidance is known and documented and then ensures all concepting and graphic design align to that direction.
- Monitors and directs the graphic design activities including; concepting, layout, copywriting and print output.
- Executes creative strategies and solutions through the development and presentation of rough and final comps.
- Utilizes available design tools to develop and present creative concepts and strategies.
- Responsible for maintaining the brands integrity through consistent creative designs, exciting visuals, adherence to brand visual guidelines, and timely completion of projects.
- Collaborates with team’s Production Engineer to ensure all printed materials are produced to a consistently high standard.
- Reviews digital and physical proofs of all product related components for quality prior to manufacturing output.
- Ensures timely and effective communication occurs cross-functionally (R&D, Japanese business partners, Project Management, etc.) to enable successful integration of all visual, functional and experiential needs of the product.
- Effectively understands and communicates with team members to ensure all information and assets necessary to begin and complete graphic design activities are available in the correct format to start and complete projects on time.
- Actively considers and communicates potential risks and/or issues related to graphic design of the product with the team.
- Identifies and commissions artwork from and provides art direction to freelance illustrators.
- Participates and/or leads standing or impromptu product development meetings with cross-functional teams.
AM I QUALIFIED?
Experience Creating and Casting these Spells:
- Fluency in both Japanese and English (both written and spoken) with an emphasis on Japanese.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in Graphic Design with an emphasis in product packaging.
- A portfolio demonstrating strong creative vision with a cinematic lens.
- Understanding of the Japanese work culture and communication styles.
- High proficiency in graphic design technology, including illustration and production using desktop publishing and other software applications using the Japanese interface of the Macintosh environment.
- Strong speaking and written communication skills with an ability to “sell” creative ideas to the stakeholders are mandatory.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to comfortably and confidently assign work and manage to schedule due dates.
- Ability to comfortably and confidently give and receive feedback.
- Ability to comfortably and confidently work on multiple projects at once.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Strong knowledge of modern print production and processes.
- Knowledge of advertising, promotion, merchandising, point-of-sale and strategies. Working knowledge and understanding of gaming industry within the Japanese demographic/market is helpful, but not required.
- Ability to lead and participate in brainstorming sessions with cross-functional teams to develop unique concepts.
- Ability to develop creative material through an understanding of the target customer, consumer and usage patterns, popular and economic trends.
- Creative, confident, quick-learner able to absorb information quickly and accurately and enjoys challenging work.
Education and Training:
- Degree in Graphic Design, Commercial Design or Fine Art preferred.
- Office environment, able to work on computer for long periods of time.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.