For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
What is this role about:
You will be working closely with the marketing team to craft our eSports program and the Magic: The Gathering brand. You will partner with game designers, product managers, and strategic leadership to analyze complex problems and recommend solutions to drive our eSports and brand growth. You will combine your analytical and statistical skills with your love of eSports to make recommendations and find opportunities to give our community the best experiences possible.
A day in the life as a Sr. Data Analyst:
- You will use your expertise at data manipulation and your real passion for quality marketing and improve how we communicate to our fans. You will be the “voice of the data” in identifying where we can be doing better and in quantifying the potential impact.
- You'll make actionable recommendations and will not be satisfied with uncovering areas for improvements; you will be an active participant in generating ideas and making recommendations. Your knowledge of marketing standard methodologies will supplement your analysis to yield actionable recommendations.
- Develop a comprehensive view of the player and the fan by using analytics, psychology, and your gaming expertise.
- Publish relevant reporting and empower others by developing reporting that answers key questions in understanding and running our business and games. You will understand user needs, anticipate their questions, and provide on-demand reporting for our partners.
- Provide the Analytic Bridge Across Our Studios. Your consulting mindset enables you to deliver a comprehensive analytics framework to our executive producers at the studios. You incorporate our company goals into our core business initiatives and enable our C-Suite to understand how the Magic brand is performing.
What you’ll bring
- 4+ years of experience conducting data analysis within gaming, entertainment or sports industry
- Prior experience working in a consultancy capacity or at consulting company "highly preferred"
- Experience with eSports and marketing preferred but not required
- Proficiency in SQL language "required". Postgres, TSQL, etc. and other analytic programming languages preferred
- Knowledge of and a real passion for games, including Magic: The Gathering
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets
About our Analytics Team
We are a mix of data analysts and scientists from all walks of life. We’ve worked previously at Activision, ArenaNet, Blizzard, EA, Facebook, and King and had professional careers in economics, physics, and marketing prior to joining the gaming industry. We have academic publications as well as presentations at conferences such as GDC and Gaming Analytics Summit. We are defined by our common principles:
- We are stewards of facts
- We are passionate about games
- We believe solid analysis leads to better decisions
- We listen and learn
- We are inclusive and respectful
- We expect greatness
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.