Umoja Biopharma is a game-changing biotech start-up with locations in Seattle, WA and Boulder, CO, focused on transforming the treatment of cancer with a novel integrated immunotherapy platform. Our vision is to develop off-the-shelf therapies capable of treating any tumor, any time. We are a diverse and growing team working in brand-new facilities in downtown Seattle, Washington, and Boulder, Colorado, and we are looking for innovative thinkers who are excited by groundbreaking science and technology, and passionate about squaring up to the challenges inherent to cutting edge drug development. We are committed to the principles of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and strongly invite applications from enthusiastic individuals who share our commitment and help position Umoja as a leader in this front.
We at Umoja believe in the importance of stories; we are looking for great people to join our team to help us create more stories for ourselves, for you, and most importantly for patients and their families.
Umoja Biopharma – Your Body. Your Hope. Your Cure.
Umoja is looking for a highly motivated candidate to support our Discovery R&D group in driving forward a comprehensive platform aimed at modulating CAR T-cell attack through small molecule labeling of tumor targets. The candidate will work under the supervision of a Senior Scientist and be responsible for supporting a range of cross-functional projects. This includes generating IND-enabling data packages describing the quality and function of Umoja’s engineered CAR T-cells in vitro, assisting with sample processing and analysis of in vivo studies, and supporting new platforms being developed by Umoja’s Discovery team. This work will require demonstrated knowledge of basic immunology and cellular/molecular biology, including experience with cell culture and multi-parameter flow cytometry. The ideal candidate must be independent, detail- and results-oriented, and comfortable working in a highly dynamic and fast-paced team environment. Additionally, the candidate should possess excellent organizational and communication skills. This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly motivated team of scientists to solve the challenges of targeting solid tumors successfully using a novel CAR cell platform.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Successful design, execution, analysis, and documentation of experiments to describe Umoja’s CAR T-cell product
- Assist with the design, mouse handling, sample processing, and analysis of in vivo studies where needed
- Participate in exploratory work to develop additional tumor targeting small molecules for use with Umoja’s TagCAR platform
- Provide technical support cross-functionally where needed
- Maintain complete laboratory records and prepare technical data reports and presentations for communication of findings
- Aiding with basic Discovery team lab maintenance (preparing and ordering reagents, banking and documenting cell lines and samples, maintaining shared lab equipment)
Required qualifications at the Associate Scientist level:
- Bachelor's degree and minimum 7 years’ relevant experience or Master's degree and minimum of 4 years relevant experience.
Required qualifications at the Senior Research Associate level:
- Bachelor's degree and minimum 4 years’ relevant experience or Master's degree and minimum of 2 years relevant experience.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience with protein analytical techniques including multi-color flow cytometry, cell sorting, and ELISA
- Experience with functional assays including Incucyte® and flow-based killing assays and MSD analysis of cytokines
- Experience with mammalian cell culture
- Competency with data analysis software (Excel, Prism, JMP, FlowJo, etc.)
- Experience in the field of immunology/cancer immunotherapy is preferred
- Experience with mouse handling/models and in vivo sample processing is preferred
- Experience with CAR T-cell-based assays is preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work on multiple projects
- Strong communication skills in technical writing and oral presentation
- Eagerness to learn and adopt new techniques
- This position requires the use of proper PPE (lab coat, gloves, and eye protection)
Pursuant to Umoja Biopharma’s Vaccine Policy, we are currently requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. In addition, you must provide proof of vaccination to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. Umoja will consider reasonable accommodation for medical condition/disability and sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance unless such accommodation would result in an undue hardship.
Umoja Biopharma offers its employees comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Premera Blue Cross, Delta Dental, and VSP, respectively, with no premium costs to our employees. Additionally, we offer Umojians access to a 401k plan through Fidelity, with a 100% match up to their first 6% deferral. Umoja also provides a competitive, unlimited Paid Time Off policy, employee commuter benefits, and childcare reimbursement. For a full breakdown of our benefits offerings, please see the Benefits section of our website.