Umoja Biopharma is a game-changing biotech start-up with locations in Seattle, WA and Boulder, CO, focused on transforming the treatment of cancer with a novel integrated immunotherapy platform. Our vision is to develop off-the-shelf therapies capable of treating any tumor, any time. We are a diverse and growing team working in brand-new facilities in downtown Seattle, Washington, and Boulder, Colorado, and we are looking for innovative thinkers who are excited by groundbreaking science and technology, and passionate about squaring up to the challenges inherent to cutting edge drug development. We are committed to the principles of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and strongly invite applications from enthusiastic individuals who share our commitment and help position Umoja as a leader in this front.
We at Umoja believe in the importance of stories; we are looking for great people to join our team to help us create more stories for ourselves, for you, and most importantly for patients and their families.
Umoja Biopharma – Your Body. Your Hope. Your Cure.
We are seeking a highly motivated and capable candidate to join the Umoja Discovery team to support preclinical development of Umoja’s novel cancer immunotherapy drug candidates and lead clinical programs. The successful candidate will join an existing team and take part in developing in vitro and in vivo non-human primate models to demonstrate the efficacy of in vivo engineered T cell therapies in proof-of-concept studies. This is an opportunity to be part of an excellent team of scientists working in an exciting environment, focused on realizing the challenge of engineering effective CAR-T cells in vivo for the treatment of cancer.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with members of the Discovery team, In Vivo/Translational team and external collaborators to develop and optimize in vitro assays and in vivo non-human primate models for conducting proof-of-concept studies to advance Umoja’s novel pipeline of drug candidates
- Contribute to strategy for preclinical development of in vivo T cell engineering and tumor targeting platforms
- Work both independently and in cross-functional collaborations to design and qualify assays designed to assess efficacy of Umoja’s drug candidates
- Evaluate and on-board novel technologies and techniques as needed to improve experimental capabilities and enable high quality and meaningful readouts from in vitro and animal experiments
- Manage relationships with external collaborators, contract research organizations, and vendors to ensure timely delivery of quality products/services related to in vivo studies
- Keep well documented records of all experimental work and prepare reports, data decks, and presentations for both internal and external communications
The successful candidate will have:
- PhD, MS, or BS in Immunology, Cancer Biology, Pharmacology, or relevant field with 0+/8+/10+ years of experience respectively
- Experience with in vivo models required, experience with humanized mice or large animals desired
- Experience with processing of blood samples for flow cytometry required
- Team player, committed to the common goals of the company
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Logical, analytical, and proficient in troubleshooting and problem solving
- Strong organization & time management skills
- Proficient in designing, executing, and interpreting well controlled experiments
- Experience in immunology, engineered T cell immunotherapies for cancer, or lentiviral biology highly desirable
- Experience processing biological samples for plate-based functional assays, plate-based protein assays, and other readouts highly desirable
- 100% compliance with personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements in laboratory environments, including gloves, protective clothing, and eye safety glasses.
- Perform physical tasks required for the role, including standing, walking, bending, kneeling, sitting, working your hands in a biosafety cabinet, and occasionally moving materials up to 50 pounds.
- Project-oriented work in this role will require regular on-site presence to complete essential job-related functions
Pursuant to Umoja Biopharma’s Vaccine Policy, we are currently requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. In addition, you must provide proof of vaccination to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. Umoja will consider reasonable accommodation for medical condition/disability and sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance unless such accommodation would result in an undue hardship.
Umoja Biopharma offers its employees comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Premera Blue Cross, Delta Dental, and VSP, respectively, with no premium costs to our employees. Additionally, we offer Umojians access to a 401k plan through Fidelity, with a 100% match up to their first 6% deferral. Umoja also provides a competitive, unlimited Paid Time Off policy, employee commuter benefits, and childcare reimbursement. For a full breakdown of our benefits offerings, please see the Benefits section of our website.