Umoja Biopharma is a game-changing biotech start-up with locations in Seattle, WA and Boulder, CO, focused on transforming the treatment of cancer with a novel integrated immunotherapy platform. Our vision is to develop off-the-shelf therapies capable of treating any tumor, any time. We are a diverse and growing team working in brand-new facilities in downtown Seattle, Washington, and Boulder, Colorado, and we are looking for innovative thinkers who are excited by groundbreaking science and technology, and passionate about squaring up to the challenges inherent to cutting edge drug development. We are committed to the principles of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and strongly invite applications from enthusiastic individuals who share our commitment and help position Umoja as a leader in this front.
We at Umoja believe in the importance of stories; we are looking for great people to join our team to help us create more stories for ourselves, for you, and most importantly for patients and their families.
Umoja Biopharma – Your Body. Your Hope. Your Cure.
Umoja seeks a passionate, attentive and solutions focused Director with managerial and capital project experience in biopharmaceutical R&D laboratory and GMP manufacturing environments to lead the Facilities department at our Seattle, WA and Boulder, CO locations. The Director will lead the Facilities department, facilitate planning, construction, and maintenance of all Umoja physical plants, properties, and equipment and be responsible for third party vendor and real estate relationships.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in laboratory and facility operations, clear communication with strong personnel skills to collaborate with and influence internal stakeholders across multiple geographic locations, as well as proven ability to operate independently with limited direction on initiatives aligned with Umoja goals.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Establish and manage Umoja Facilities policies and procedures, training, and execution
- Collaborate with key operational and scientific stakeholders to develop, prioritize, manage and report Umoja and departmental capital and expense budgets, timelines, space and long-range physical plants based on Umoja needs and growth plans
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators and solutions to ensure operational excellence, continuous improvement, timely communications, and risk mitigation strategies
- Coaching, mentoring, and team development
- Advise and inform senior management on operations and risk-management of physical plant and equipment
- Lead Facilities team and responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the company's office and laboratory facilities (CO and WA), security, access control, and corporate services
- Manage service providers and vendor contracts related to the maintenance, calibration, and repair of facility and utility equipment and building systems, including OAC (owner-architect-contractors), landlord and property management relationships
- Lead space planning activities, including desk allocation and assignments, occupancy forecasting and laboratory utilization, management of office relocations and moves
- Project management and primary technical expert resource for capital projects, including tenant improvements, utility modifications, implementation of new equipment, budgets, reports, and cost saving opportunities
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 8 years relevant industry experience in facilities or plant engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 5 years of facilities operations experience in both a research laboratory and cGMP manufacturing environment
- Ability to lead team and work effectively and efficiently in a collaborative manner across multiple functional areas and geographies
- Self-motivated, pro-active, and able to independently work with risk-based decision-making capability.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, matrix environment
- Proficient in business and engineering software systems such as Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint, Visio, and AutoCAD as well as BMS and EMS
- Experience or familiarity applying various project management tools for schedule, budget, and resource management and reporting.
- Proven ability to implement and follow safety protocols and work practices
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves, protective clothing, and eye safety glasses.
- Ability to perform physical tasks including standing, use of hands, walking, bending, kneeling, and occasionally moving materials up to 30 pounds
- Ability to work off hours, on-call, and/or weekends on occasion or in emergency situations
- Ability to work onsite with flexibility to work from home as required
Pursuant to Umoja Biopharma’s Vaccine Policy, we are currently requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. In addition, you must provide proof of vaccination to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. Umoja will consider reasonable accommodation for medical condition/disability and sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance unless such accommodation would result in an undue hardship.
Umoja Biopharma offers its employees comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Premera Blue Cross, Delta Dental, and VSP, respectively, with no premium costs to our employees. Additionally, we offer Umojians access to a 401k plan through Fidelity, with a 100% match up to their first 6% deferral. Umoja also provides a competitive, unlimited Paid Time Off policy, employee commuter benefits, and childcare reimbursement. For a full breakdown of our benefits offerings, please see the Benefits section of our website.