Umoja Biopharma is a game-changing biotech start-up with locations in Seattle, WA and Boulder, CO, focused on transforming the treatment of cancer with a novel integrated immunotherapy platform. Our vision is to develop off-the-shelf therapies capable of treating any tumor, any time. We are a diverse and growing team working in brand-new facilities in downtown Seattle, Washington, and Boulder, Colorado, and we are looking for innovative thinkers who are excited by groundbreaking science and technology, and passionate about squaring up to the challenges inherent to cutting edge drug development. We are committed to the principles of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and strongly invite applications from enthusiastic individuals who share our commitment and help position Umoja as a leader in this front.
We at Umoja believe in the importance of stories; we are looking for great people to join our team to help us create more stories for ourselves, for you, and most importantly for patients and their families.
Umoja Biopharma – Your Body. Your Hope. Your Cure.
The Umoja Biopharma Translational Medicine team is seeking a highly motivated, creative, and driven Scientist to help advance investigational products through clinical phase studies and lead efforts to elucidate mechanisms of response, relapse, and resistance. Key responsibilities for this role include bioanalytical assay development and clinical sample testing to support trial objectives, including but not limited to safety, pharmacokinetics (PK)/ pharmacodynamics (Pd), immunogenicity, disease biology, and exploratory biomarker identification. This role will also support correlative studies, hypothesis-driven investigations, and reverse translation of clinical phase discoveries back into the pipeline.
This role requires a combination of hands-on work in the lab and collaboration with external partners and vendors to develop and execute analytical methods. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience across a variety of analytical and cutting-edge technology platforms and a strong foundation in immunology and cancer biology. This is a great opportunity to be part of an exciting startup biotechnology company and to develop the next generation of cancer immunotherapies with a portfolio that could allow greater responsibility and career opportunities.
The final level of this position will be based on the candidate’s qualifications.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Design/develop and qualify fit-for-use bioanalytical methods for testing clinical biospecimens, including but not limited to multi-color flow cytometry methods, molecular methods, and serum/plasma-based protein analysis
- Collaborate with external parties to develop novel bioanalytical methods and testing plans, including transferring assays developed "in-house” to vendors for clinical trial implementation
- Assist with design, execution, and interpretation of correlative studies to support product understanding, hypothesis-based investigations, and exploratory biomarker campaigns.
- Analyze and interpret experimental data and integrate translational insights into the program and product pipeline through cross-functional collaborations.
- Maintain complete laboratory records in line with appropriate guidance documents and/or SOPs
- Prepare technical data reports and presentations
The successful candidate will have:
- Scientist level: BS/MS/PhD in Immunology, Molecular Biology, or related discipline with 10/8/0 + years of experience respectively
- Senior Scientist level: BS/MS/PhD in Immunology, Molecular Biology, or related discipline with 12/10/2 + years of experience respectively
- Demonstrated experience and expertise with designing and executing multicolor flow cytometry panels
- Experience with serum/plasma protein analysis [cytokines, biomarkers] (e.g., ELISA, ECL.)
- Experience with qPCR/ddPCR platform technologies
- Experience with immunohistochemistry and/or immunofluorescence
- Experience with single cell analytics, including high parameter flow cytometry, sequencing, spatial transcriptomics
- Industry experience and expertise in the cell and gene therapy field
- Familiarity with developing biomarkers in FIH and Ph1 clinical trials
- Strong communication skills in technical writing and oral presentation
- Strong ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently.
- 100% compliance with personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements in laboratory environments, including gloves, protective clothing, and eye safety glasses.
- Perform physical tasks required for the role, including standing, walking, bending, kneeling, sitting, working your hands in a biosafety cabinet, and occasionally moving materials up to 50 pounds.
- Project-oriented work in this role will require regular on-site presence (60-70%) to complete essential job-related functions for bioanalytical method development and execution.
Pursuant to Umoja Biopharma’s Vaccine Policy, we are currently requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. In addition, you must provide proof of vaccination to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. Umoja will consider reasonable accommodation for medical condition/disability and sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance unless such accommodation would result in an undue hardship.
Umoja Biopharma offers its employees comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Premera Blue Cross, Delta Dental, and VSP, respectively, with no premium costs to our employees. Additionally, we offer Umojians access to a 401k plan through Fidelity, with a 100% match up to their first 6% deferral. Umoja also provides a competitive, unlimited Paid Time Off policy, employee commuter benefits, and childcare reimbursement. For a full breakdown of our benefits offerings, please see the Benefits section of our website.