Umoja Biopharma is a game-changing biotech start-up with locations in Seattle, WA and Boulder, CO, focused on transforming the treatment of cancer with a novel integrated immunotherapy platform. Our vision is to develop off-the-shelf therapies capable of treating any tumor, any time. We are a diverse and growing team working in brand-new facilities in downtown Seattle, Washington, and Boulder, Colorado, and we are looking for innovative thinkers who are excited by groundbreaking science and technology, and passionate about squaring up to the challenges inherent to cutting edge drug development. We are committed to the principles of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and strongly invite applications from enthusiastic individuals who share our commitment and help position Umoja as a leader in this front.
We at Umoja believe in the importance of stories; we are looking for great people to join our team to help us create more stories for ourselves, for you, and most importantly for patients and their families.
Umoja Biopharma – Your Body. Your Hope. Your Cure.
Umoja is looking for a driven Analytical Senior Scientist to drive strategy, knowledge and deliverables related to developing lentiviral vector analytics. The candidate should have an in-depth understanding of vector biology (Lenti, AAV, etc.) and engineered T cell therapies and will partner with leadership to shape analytical strategies that support development of Umoja’s drug products. The candidate will play a leadership role within Analytical Development and should have experience in developing analytical methods, including bringing in new technology, troubleshooting, and assay qualification to support regulatory submissions. The ideal candidate has a proven track record in analytical method design and testing, molecular virology, and automation. The position will be accountable for the analytical strategy that spans the development of analytical methods related to the strength and identity of drug candidates. Experience in method transfer to internal teams and external partners is desired.
The final level of this position will be based on the candidate’s qualifications.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead scientists and research associates within analytical development, providing technical oversight
- Lead the successful design, execution, analysis, and documentation of experiments to develop analytical methods for lentiviral vectors
- Perform experiments to support analytical development and product characterization using advanced techniques including qPCR/ddPCR, ELISAs, Western blots, virus particle characterization, and multicolor flow cytometry
- Automation of analytical methods
- Oversee the qualification of analytical methods
- Supports creating and maintenance of an analytical lab including equipment and hiring
- Drive bringing in new technology in analytical development to support business objectives
- Foster good teamwork and communication. Build a reputation of excellence as an individual and as a team
- Author, review and approve technical documents including standard operating procedures, test methods, and technical reports
- Present findings on method development and provide interpretation and strategic plans related to the development of analytical methods to cross-functional teams
The successful candidate will have:
- At the Senior Scientist level: PhD/MS/BS in Molecular Biology or Immunology or relevant field with 2/5/10+ years of experience respectively
- At the Principal Scientist level: PhD/MS/BS in Molecular Biology or Immunology or relevant field with 5/10/12+ years of experience respectively
- Proven track record in method development, including experimental design, execution, and statistical analysis of results
- Experience qualifying and transferring analytical methods to a QC or external laboratory
- Experience with qPCR/ddPCR, multicolor flow cytometry and analysis software, cell-based assays, ELISAs, Westerns, and viral transduction
- Experience with GxP, ICH, and FDA regulations as they apply to release testing is preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities, meet deadlines, and prioritize work on multiple projects
- Strong communication skills in technical writing and oral presentation. Respectful of others and open to new ideas.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves, protective clothing, and eye safety glasses
- Perform physical tasks including standing, use of hand, walk, bend, kneel, sit, and occasionally move materials up to 50 pounds
Pursuant to Umoja Biopharma’s Vaccine Policy, we are currently requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. In addition, you must provide proof of vaccination to work onsite or visit any of our physical locations. Umoja will consider reasonable accommodation for medical condition/disability and sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance unless such accommodation would result in an undue hardship.
Umoja Biopharma offers its employees comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Premera Blue Cross, Delta Dental, and VSP, respectively, with no premium costs to our employees. Additionally, we offer Umojians access to a 401k plan through Fidelity, with a 100% match up to their first 6% deferral. Umoja also provides a competitive, unlimited Paid Time Off policy, employee commuter benefits, and childcare reimbursement. For a full breakdown of our benefits offerings, please see the Benefits section of our website.