ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
TheSkimm is looking for an audio producer to work across two existing podcasts and help us launch a third. The ideal candidate is a news and culture junkie and experienced audio producer who can write, produce, edit, and voice podcasts on a tight deadline. You’ll work with our audio team pitching stories, fact-checking, researching and interviewing guests, producing interviews, sourcing and cutting audio, and writing concise and ready-to-read script copy.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Work across multiple weekly podcasts, with a primary focus on our upcoming pop culture podcast
- Collaborate with the team while pitching stories, booking guests, researching, fact-checking, and script writing in theSkimm’s brand voice - while also cutting tape and mixing audio
- Attend pitch meetings, offer editorial feedback, contribute to story generation and development
- Source audio elements, mix audio for segments
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 3+ yrs experience as a journalist working in a newsroom setting
- 2+ yrs experience in audio production and storytelling
- Proficiency in cutting and mixing tape for audio publications
- Experience fact-checking audio scripts both before and after recordings
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimm’rs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news and makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, and the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance and careers to voting, wellness and downtime. theSkimm’s product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, “Skimm This'' and “Skimm’d From the Couch,” theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money and Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, and Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video and audio content. theSkimm’s first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And we’re not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the life’s necessity categories and expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content and audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- and the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.