ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s design team is a group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on creating beautiful experiences Skimm’rs love. As a Product Design Director, you will lead and develop product design experiences end-to-end and grow the product design team.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Lead the design and execution across our web experiences and iOS app
- Build the product design team and discipline
- Partner with your team and stakeholders to develop and maintain the short-term and long-term roadmap
- Guide how we use user research and data to inform decisions
- Run design reviews, brainstorming sessions, and collaboration sessions
- Partner with leads on planning, staffing, and managing priorities
- Develop and maintain a well defined design system
- Foster a collaborative process with teams across the organization
- Work with the entire design team to evolve the brand design system, understanding the value of design patterns and helping to build and maintain a cohesive visual language
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 6+ years of product design experience
- 3+ years managing a product design team
- Ability to be hands on and build out a team
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of design craft and give direction to designers
- Strong critical thinking and communication skills
- Proficient in Figma and prototyping tools
WHAT WILL SET YOU APART
- Ability to refine other people’s ideas and push the best concept forward
- Keen interest in elevating theSkimm’s products and bringing new offerings to life
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
Please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio with your application
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.