ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s design team is a group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on creating beautifully branded experiences Skimm’rs love. As the Brand Design Director, you will translate marketing and brand strategies into innovative campaigns and branded experiences. As a key member of the team, you'll work cross-functionally with marketing, editorial, product, and sales to own the end-to-end brand experience and bring theSkimm’s voice to life.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Lead and develop a team of brand designers
- Guide art direction for all marketing campaigns and branded experiences
- Conceptualize and execute large scale, multi-channel marketing campaigns
- Ensure theSkimm’s brand styles and voice is represented in all projects
- Manage design resources needed for projects
- Develop and maintain a well defined brand identity
- Foster a collaborative process with teams across the organization
- Work with the entire design team to evolve the brand design system, understanding the value of design patterns and helping to build and maintain a cohesive visual language
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 6+ years of brand design experience
- 4+ years managing a creative team
- Experience owning campaigns across all channels
- Strong critical thinking and communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of design craft
- Ability to lead, inspire, and motivate reports and peers to do their best work
- Proficient in Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects, Figma, Keynote
- A solid understanding of typography, composition, and grids
WHAT WILL SET YOU APART
- Ability to refine other people’s ideas and push the best concept forward
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm, and a passion for our audience and mission
- Keen interest in elevating theSkimm’s brand and bringing new offerings to life
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
Please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio with your application.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.