ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire an experienced AM News Writer for its editorial team. This is not an entry-level role and candidates must be comfortable with a non traditional schedule. theSkimm’s editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds, and we understand how to write high quality journalism in theSkimm’s distinct voice. We're looking for a news junkie who will work closely with the Daily Skimm, Video, and Web team to write the Daily Skimm newsletter, news videos scripts, and web articles.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Write and update the Daily Skimm newsletter for the latest breaking news before it publishes
- Build the Daily Skimm article on theSkimm.com
- Write news articles and large-scale campaigns for theSkimm.com
- Assist the video team with production of news videos: write, research, and fact-check video scripts & articles
- Work on special projects and/or long-form content, including researching, writing, editing, fact-checking, and publishing
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of 3-5 years of traditional or digital newsroom experience
- Experience working in a breaking news environment
- Excellent writing and editorial judgment
- Experience with research and fact-checking
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Passion for theSkimm and its mission, and the ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- The ability to be a self-starter and a team player
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
Please attach your resume and a cover letter. We're looking for voice, wit, and humor, so to the extent that you can, please write your cover letter in the style of a Daily Skimm newsletter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY