ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for a Director of Editorial Operations to be responsible for managing content operations and supervising short and long term content planning. This role will support a group of talented journalists and content creators to do what they do best in a more effective and scalable way. This role is the right-hand to and will report into the SVP, Content.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Lead support in planning, organizing, and production of content throughout the organization
- Manage editorial calendars and editorial strategy planning and their respective processes
- Own and project manage editorial initiatives from ideation to execution in order to improve editorial operations across the company
- Represent editorial as the subject matter expert and key stakeholder in cross-functional meetings with product, sales, tech, design, operations, and marketing
- Assist SVP, Content in day-to-day operations of the editorial team, including resource allocation and budget planning process
- Oversee publishing schedule for theSkimm.com
- Oversee talent booking process
- Manage content team trainings, ensuring adherence to journalistic standards, voice etc.
- Work with the content analyst to set success metrics around content performance and to communicate goals and trends to the editorial team.
- Manage content-team training calendar to ensure all new content hires are properly trained on current editorial voice and operations
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5-10 years of digital newsroom experience, with 3 of those in an operational role managing similar sizeable publication required
- Experience project managing editorial initiatives
- Experience with short and long-term editorial planning is required
- Proven Expertise and knowledge in latest digital trends, technology and best practices for editorial, commerce content, and SEO
- Proven Expertise with content analytics
- Highly organized, extremely detail-oriented, and able to effectively prioritize workload in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to self-motivate and be a team player across multiple departments
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Proficient in Wordpress and Asana a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.