ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm's mission is to make it easier to live a smarter life. We’re building news and information products that fit into your everyday routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. We’re best known for the Daily Skimm, an email newsletter reaching 7-Million active subscribers daily. We launched theSkimm app on iOS in 2016, which integrates seamlessly with your smartphone calendar to give you all the big things happening in politics, business, tech, and entertainment before and it's happening. We also launched theSkimm Studios, our in-house audio and video production team.
As Product Director, you will set the roadmap and define the features to create engaging online experiences to get our message to the widest possible audience while deepening engagement. The ideal candidate will also understand the changing nature of brand websites and mobile applications, and continually look to disseminate and monetize content.
Working with our amazing product, design, data and engineering teams, you will be responsible for growing and innovating our web, mobile, and CMS platforms. In a typical day, you might be analyzing user data and feedback on product performance, brainstorming with Sales on sponsorship opportunities, creating product requirements documents and wireframes for new features and enhancements, working hands-on with developers and stakeholders to answer questions, evangelizing your vision, and shepherding product releases.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Manage a product portfolio that includes our digital presence across our website, newsletters and mobile applications.
- Lead the concept, UX design, wireframe creation, development and launch of web, mobile, and back-end products both in-house and with strategic partners
- Create detailed, clear and thoughtful documentation, including requirements and wireframes, for the project team and stakeholders
- Lead user research, metrics gathering, competitive and performance analyses of all of our products, and communicate results across the company
- Understand our competitive and strategic position, and deliver best-in-industry products
- Execute the vision for how we integrate news into the daily routines of millions of millennial women as their lives evolve and habits change.
- Partner with editorial, design, and engineering to execute on the roadmap, testing hypotheses and iterating along the way
- Partner with user research and data analytics to understand user pain points and identify opportunities to improve
- Create clear launch goals and success metrics based on user and business objectives, and continuously track towards them
- Maintain a keen focus on user experience
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years of product management or product design experience
- Product management experience at a consumer-facing media, ecommerce or news site
- Proven track record of launching successful web or mobile products that customers love, ideally in the media or news space
- Exceptional data-driven decision making skills
- Demonstrable expertise in crafting clear project documentation
- Experience in developing or integrating back-end platforms into existing workflows
- Comprehensive experience with UX design, customer research, and user experience best practices – including the creation of detailed annotated wireframes
- Knowledge of current web and mobile technologies, and familiarity with how the digital ecosystem is evolving
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- A strategic mindset that allows you to prioritize projects, launches, and features, and balance immediate requirements with a long-term vision
- Enthusiasm for every phase of product development – from strategy and conceptualization, to requirements writing, working with a cross-functional project team, and launch
- Experience implementing SEO best practices
- Familiarity with A/B testing, prototyping tools, and analytics
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent writing, analytical and organizational skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.