ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We’re looking for an experienced data engineer and mentor to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
As we grow, we're looking for a Senior Data Engineer who will help solidify and expand our pipelines and maintain our data warehouse. Our business is run on detailed analysis of how our products perform with our members, which features they love and which can be improved, and which product and marketing campaigns are bringing in the best quality users. You'll be responsible for working alongside analysts, product, marketing, and other teams to define new data collection components and measurement schemes that support each new product and feature.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 4-6+ years of industry experience measuring product performance and user behavior
- Experience working with a variety of data management technologies, including RedShift, Kinesis/Kafka, Glue, Spark, Postgres, Airflow, dbt, and others.
- Experience implementing reporting tools such as Looker
- Experience interfacing with engineers, product managers and analysts to understand data needs
- Knowledge of a variety of measurement beacons, SDKs, APIs including Google Analytics, Amplitude, Braze, Stripe, email service providers
- A commitment to building secure, resilient, fault-tolerant architectures, with clear documentation and procedures in place for support
- A focus on accuracy and detail as you build, ensuring data pipelines produce clear, predictable results
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication and trust
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Understanding of the typical metrics a subscription and advertising-supported business needs to measure success
- Experience with Google Tag Manager and other measurement management tools
- Experience with ML techniques as applied to behavioral segmentation or anomaly identification
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, Travis, Jenkins)
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.