ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for an entrepreneurial leader to join our team as the Vice President of Finance & Operations. This person will be responsible for overseeing the Finance, Accounting, Legal and Operations functions. The VP of Finance & Operations, who will sit on the Leadership team, will lead all financial aspects of the business (planning, financial management, ROI analysis etc), day-to-day revenue operations (ad operations, business partner to sales leadership etc.) and also help in ad-hoc needs around optimizing overall business operations.
This is not a role for someone with only traditional finance and operations experience. Although the role includes the typical responsibilities of such a role, we are looking for someone that has the ability to couple quantitative techniques with business acumen and be a true thought-leader at the company. The VP of Finance & Operations will be seen as someone that operators, department heads and executives will turn to for help in running their departments and the overall business.
This role reports to the COO/CFO and will manage a team.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Finance & Accounting
- Lead and develop a team of 3 people
- Oversee the team that leads the budget/review/forecasting processes, partnering with senior management to create accurate monthly forecasts
- Using business acumen and influencing skills, establish and drive to an effective balance between growth aspirations and affordability in budgeting/forecasting processes
- Maintain and optimize financial management policies and processes to enhance efficiency and provide robust and reliable financial operations to drive long term growth
- Provide strategic financial input and be a solutions-orientated business partner to department heads and budget owners
- Develop and maintain relationships with all department heads and budget owners
- Optimize the organization’s cash flow management and strategic investments
- Perform high-level monthly review to ensure the integrity of the company's accounting systems and ledgers
- Respond to regular investor requirements and board requests
- Work with management to enable growth opportunities with models and analyses to provide recommendations for maximizing economic and financial results over the short and long-term
- Create presentations and communications to senior leadership
- Be a thought leader on how to improve monetization and being a sounding board on improving process to also help optimize company financials
- Manage the Legal function of the company, working with both internal resources and outside counsel when needed
- Develop, establish, and direct the execution of operating and legal policies to support overall company objectives
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 10+ years of experience in finance positions
- At least 3+ years of experience in a role that included joint financial and operational responsibilities
- Experience in working with ad sales teams
- Success in creating a finance function that is a business partner to the organization
- Willing to get into the details when needed
- Strategic and solutions-orientated mindset
- Leadership and management experience, including a desire to lead and develop a team
- Strong ability to work cross-functionally
- Startup experience is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.