WHO WE ARE
The Humane League is an international farm animal advocacy group. At The Humane League, we foster a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, The Humane League has strategically positioned itself for growth. We are currently a team of 70+ committed individuals, dispersed across the country and the world. We are looking for a PR Director to bring our mission, campaigns and meaningful stories to major media and influencers, for high-impact exposure and relationship development on behalf of our organization and the animals we work for every day.
Your position plays an integral role in building The Humane League’s credibility and exposing our mission, our movement and our work to media and influencers—those who reach and impact millions of people.
We want you because you have a mission and values-centered approach to your life and your work. You are ideal for this position because you have a rich background of experience in Communications and/or PR and media relations, with a proven track record in securing highly visible feature stories in leading national and international media outlets and local publications. Critically, you possess persuasive written and verbal communications skills, an active network of applicable media and influencer contacts, and a can do, relentless and inherently positive attitude.
This is a full-time, remote position with a preference for candidates in NY & LA, along with occasional travel.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Build, implement and lead our PR strategy, focused on securing prominent exposure with local, national and international media outlets and with key influencers.
- Coordinate all PR activities, including: crafting and disseminating big creative media pitches, 1:1 outreach and press releases.
- Lead media/influencer events, from start-to-finish, as needed, in-line with our agreed upon strategy.
- Create and manage our target media and influencer lists, including those in mainstream news, business, science, animal welfare, food, philanthropy and activism.
- Leverage existing media and influencer relationships, and cultivate new contacts.
- Oversee our media speaking points and FAQ’s, including creating or updating the content.
- Media train our Grassroots, Open Wing Alliance (and other) team members in talking to the media, managing interviews and conducting follow-ups.
- Partner with, and support, our Int’l communications team members in developing local PR strategies and leading local media and influencer relations.
- Work intra-departmentally with our Campaigns team and across the organization to ensure our messaging is powerful, clear, consistent and optimized.
- Manage our press portal and update media mentions, as needed, on our website.
- Collaborate closely with our communications team, our Grassroots team and others to reach our PR goals and support the broader organization’s aims.
- Monitor and evaluate success on a quarterly and ongoing basis.
- Ensure cohesive and consistent brand messaging across our media and influencer relations messaging, in-line with our organization-wide messaging.
- Maintain a knowledge of changing trends in media and influencer relations and within the animal protection sectors.
- Manage our strategic and day-to-day PR work with sensitivity, upholding and building our positive reputation.
- Experience working in PR / Communications with agencies, non-profits or for profit organizations.
- Excellent persuasive written and verbal communications skills.
- A knack for building relationships with targeted national, local and international media across a variety of mediums, including: online media, print media, broadcast and podcasts/radio.
- A proven track record in securing highly visible feature stories in leading media outlets.
- Influencer relations experience, working with celebrities and/or influencers.
- Experience crafting big creative media pitches, 1:1 outreach and press releases.
- A cultivated, and active, network of applicable media and influencer contacts
- Experience leading others and proven ability to do so—ideally through direct management, or through project leadership.
- Experience critically contributing to an overarching Communications strategy.
- Experience conducting media trainings / providing strategic interview counsel for team members.
- A can do, relentless and inherently positive attitude.
- An authentic alignment with our mission and animal protection work.
- A strong working knowledge, and professional use, of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Tumblr, Reddit.
- Experience in crisis communications / crisis management.
- Experience with project management processes and programs, such as Asana.
Starting salary $59,000, commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, working from home, flexible holiday and vacation time, room for advancement, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.