We’re on a mission to reinvent 3D design for the 21st century.
To achieve this, we’re completely reimagining legacy computer-aided design (CAD) tools with an iconic, mobile-first product. Over the past two years of high-speed growth, our Apple Design Award-winning app has been regularly featured in Apple Keynotes and commercials, and demoed in retail stores around the world. But what we’re most proud of is the global user base that uses our product every day. And we’re backed by top European VCs Point9 Capital and Creandum in doing so.
By joining engineering at Shapr3D, you'll get the chance to build a world class product - one that's already used by hundreds of thousands of design professionals across the globe. Hence, well on its way to disrupting a 30 year old CAD industry. Oh, and it's rather satisfying to see your app featured on apple.com. Yes. That's right. Shapr3D is one of those apps
Besides constructing an amazing application, we are also working hard at Shapr3D on building a world-class engineering organization. In our Engineering VP's words: “our focus is on making sure that all our teams are empowered and incentivized to make decisions independently. People aren’t afraid of taking risks, setting ambitious goals, and in some cases, failing. We know how to learn from our mistakes.” (Akos Kapui, Engineering VP). Read more about this and our engineering philosophy here.
How would you contribute to the mission?
- Your experience in iOS application development will help us to drive our mission forward and build an iconic app for design professionals. Our growing number of teams take on larger initiatives and deliver the features end-to-end to customers. There are teams that work on supporting customers with new tools like 3D alignment of objects, or adding support for keyboard and mouse. You will be joining one of the teams and working on major features that make a real difference.
- We don’t have dedicated roles for specific tasks; every engineer is equally responsible for engineering design, implementation, and testing. Our engineers are driven to deliver high quality work and always aspiring to learn and grow on the job.
- We are dedicated to creating superior products, which is why we invest a lot of time and energy into prototyping and user testing. Your desire to build magical user experiences will greatly help us to succeed in our mission. We recently released an adaptive user interface which is a great example of how you can simplify complexity through high quality design.
- We work in an agile environment with a strong focus on well-structured code, testing, and continuous integration. We do our best to build sustainable code that enables high speed and high quality. Pragmatic decisions and approaches help us maintain a good balance between quality and speed.
A sneak peek into our stack...
- Our cross platform CAD engine (that is shared across all platforms) is written in standard C++17
- For our iPadOS and macOS app we build our UI and application logic in Swift
- Some Objective-C, mostly for gluing Swift and C++ together
- Our proprietary rendering engine uses native Metal and DirectX 11 APIs
In an ideal world you'll bring a bunch of these things to the table:
- Knowledge and depth of experience in iOS application development
- Experience in building high performance and high quality mobile applications
- In-depth architectural design experience
- Computer science and math skills (meaning that you are not a mathematician but that you could for example, implement a complex algorithm from a piece of paper, and that you know basic linear algebra and geometry)
- Proven experience with writing high quality, testable, maintainable code
- Experience with modern C++ is a big plus
And the following applies to you and will help you thrive at Shapr3D:
- Curiosity fuels your journey
- You are dedicated to building products that break the mould
- You like to take ownership of things and to learn from your mistakes
- Quality code and very robust architectural decisions define your approach, while being able to move fast and build things with flexibility
- Users and data lie at the core of your technical decisions
- Users and the product come first. Team next. And your ego last.
What does a successful first 6 months look like at Shapr3D?
Solving problems in our domain requires an in-depth knowledge of computer architecture, operating systems, and computer science - but more importantly you have to understand our product and domain. The first couple of weeks of your onboarding will mainly focus on learning and understanding our practices, while later it will shift towards autonomy and efficiency. You’ll be guided and mentored by experienced engineers throughout the whole onboarding process.
Now let’s fast forward 6 months into the future. You have designed, implemented, and released multiple features to production. You’ve had countless occasions where you had to make decisions on how to best solve a specific problem. You’ve also received numerous pushbacks and feedback from your teammates which eventually led to a better outcome. You’ve learned tons of new things during this period, and your work and contributions have inspired others to do the same.
What do we offer?
- A down-to-earth culture and an opportunity to scale this thing up together
- The chance to build a word-class product and to learn from some of the best professionals in their field along the way
- Unconditional support for your professional development - be it reading a book or attending a course to grow your skills, it's on the house
- Relocation support if you’re not from Hungary
- 100% sick leave payment
- A generous healthcare package with Medicover (upon passing your probation)
- An iPad Pro and Ultimaker office 3D printer so you can play with the app
- A spacious office with a panoramic view of downtown Budapest
- One of the best coffee machines in town and well-stocked office snacks (including fruit, cereals, sweets, savories, a company Wolt account while we’re working remotely, and more)
If all this speaks to you and you’re up for reinventing 3D design for the 21st century, we should definitely talk! And don't worry if you don't tick every single box in the requirements. We’re always looking to hire for potential and the right mindset - so we'd still love to hear back from you. #Senior