Who We Are
At Relay, we have an ambitious goal... to dramatically improve the way in which businesses and their customers connect and communicate through a unique, private, mobile messaging application.
We have built a talented team and a smart technology. And we’re rapidly scaling to support our blue-chip portfolio of 50+ enterprise clients, and our base of 21 million end users.
While we are focused on delivering quality and value to our clients, we are equally committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees.
We are a group of intellectually curious, self-driven, highly motivated, productive individuals.
We are proud of our work. We are proud of our culture. And we are especially proud to be recognized as a five-time winner of the Best Places to Work in Philadelphia award.
We are currently seeking an experienced VP, Engineering to optimize the performance of our close-knit, engineering team. This role is all about recruiting, management, internal communication, process adherence, and quality delivery; that is, getting our product out the door, while ensuring that the team is happy and hitting its mark.
What you’ll do
- Grow, manage and optimize the performance of the engineering team, with an emphasis on productivity and efficiency
- Mentor the engineering team, with an emphasis on job satisfaction and career-pathing
- Set the right culture for the engineering team, which is critical for acquiring and retaining engineering talent
- Determine delivery dates, hit all the right dates, provide the rest of the organization with transparency into the process, and accurately forecast updates (if the timeline changes)
- Possess full command of the software development process, and ensure that the correct process is in place and adhered to
- Define and ensure a high level of product quality
- Work quickly and efficiently to solve problems with an unmatched attention to detail
What you’ve done
- You have experience and/or keen interest in in the following areas:
-Working in a high-performance culture
- Developing highly scalable multi-tenant systems
- Designing and implementing data storage solutions on relational databases
- Familiarity with Linux / MacOS
- Experience with messaging platforms is a plus
What you possess
- BA/BS in computer science or related technical field
- 5+ years of experience leading high performance engineering teams
- Experience leading teams that have achieved audacious goals
- In-depth understanding of the entire software development lifecycle (design, development, deployment and scaling)
- Ability to search for new opportunities to improve performance, productivity and efficiency
- Experience building business critical processes and infrastructure
- Technical depth to uncover root causes of complex problems and guidance on solving them
- Appreciation for engineering code quality
- Significant experience working in an agile environment
- Excellent analytical, time management and communication skills
- Teamwork skills with a problem-solving attitude
- Value getting things done (e.g. shipping to production)
What we’ll bring
- Competitive base salary plus incentive compensation plan
- Stock options
- World-class benefits (medical, dental, vision), 80% subsidized by Relay
- Unlimited vacation policy
- 401K plan (100% match, up to 4%)
- Modern, collaborative workspace, with massive windows and lots of greenery
- Unlimited Starbucks coffee, fruit, and snacks
- Monthly gym membership
Relay is a profitable, venture-backed firm, founded by a team of successful entrepreneurs. We are a five-time winner of the Best Places to Work in Philadelphia award, and offer an unparalleled package of benefits, including unlimited vacation time.