Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended almost US$1 billion through the platform to fund over 20,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 170 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Data Engineer who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in continuing to scale the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with Technology at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by our culture. We’re still a start-up at heart, so you can expect a sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech company with successful start-up roots, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
Get to grips with data engineering by working in the data engineering team helping to get data into our systems as well as provide access to that data for different stakeholders.
- Be an integral and trusted member of the data engineering team
- Be a mentor to new team members
- Hands on coding / implementation to enable data to flow to our data systems from both internal and external sources
- Establish good working relationships across the tech team in order to better understand the data being created and help mould our data practices and standards
- Establish good working relationships with data consumers in order to better how they use the data and advocate how we enable them to use data more effectively and efficiently
- You take responsibility for the data and systems you both inherit and produce. Be passionate about data engineering and make our data solutions better
- Research and stay abreast of key technical developments and trends
What you will be measured on
- The integration of data sources via API, Flat File or other mechanisms into our data warehouse
- The timely delivery of quality data to our business teams
- The quality of the data we store within our data warehouse
- The adherence to target architecture guidelines, or your influence in changing how we architect for data integration, transformation and access
- Helping our data engineering team focus on value in order for it to be a valuable asset to the business
- Mindfulness; become aware of how your work and your behaviour impacts the wider result and the impact, not only on the platform build, but on the whole Prodigy Finance team
What you need to be great at
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
- Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritize and plan your own individual tasks
- Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution
- Teamwork and team spirit; we are all contributing to the same platform, so you need to not only be a great individual contributor but be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team - we only win if the team wins, see the impact of your own work and positively influence and help the work of others
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- 3+ years experience within software engineering
- Experience with relational database administration
- Experience working with data pipelines and messaging systems (e.g. RabbitMQ, SQS)
- Experience working with Cloud Platforms such as AWS or Azure
- Experience with software application development in a production environment
- Understand software design principles and best practices (TDD, continuous deployment, etc.)
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience working in a data engineering team
- Solid foundational knowledge of Data Science and Business Intelligence
- Experience with Data Warehousing and ETLs
- Experience working with Amazon RedShift
- Experience working with Postgres
- Experience with NoSQL database platform (e.g. Hadoop)
- Experience with AWS data processing tools (e.g. DMS)
- Python, Ruby and SQL experience will be highly beneficial
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Data Engineer? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.