Pliant Therapeutics is a late-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel therapies for fibrotic diseases. Founded by Third Rock Ventures with world-renowned academic thought leaders, Pliant is raising the bar to meet the unmet medical needs of physicians, patients and families impacted by fibrotic diseases. As the leader in the discovery and development of novel therapeutics for the treatment of fibrotic diseases, Pliant is developing small molecule drug candidates specifically designed to impact the fibrotic process.
The Company’s lead product candidate, bexotegrast (PLN-74809), is an oral small molecule, selective inhibitor of the αvβ1 and αvβ6 integrins that play a key role in multiple fibrotic pathways. Bexotegrast has received Fast Track Designation and Orphan Drug Designation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for both idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) and Orphan Drug Designation from the European Medicines Agency in IPF and PSC. Pliant is currently conducting BEACON-IPF, a Phase 2b trial of bexotegrast for the treatment of IPF and INTEGRIS-PSC, a Phase 2a trial of bexotegrast for the treatment of PSC.
Pliant has also developed PLN-1474, a small molecule, selective inhibitor of αvß1 for the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH with liver fibrosis. Pliant is conducting a Phase 1 study for its third clinical program, PLN-101095, a small molecule, dual-selective inhibitor of αvß8 and αvß1 integrins, that is being developed for the treatment of solid tumors. The Company also has discovery and development programs in oncology and muscular dystrophies.
The CMC 2024 Summer Internship provides an opportunity for an undergraduate or graduate student who is interested in exploring a career in the pharmaceutical industry. The intern will report to Scientist II, Formulation Development with a task of literature search, formulation process and associated data compilation and maintenance. The intern will have opportunities to observe and have limited hands-on experience in early-stage formulation development, CMC related activities, and exposure to other functional departments such as analytical and chemical development etc. This role also has the possibility to learn about GMP drug product manufacturing and associated processes/activities. This is not a remote role; our office is located in South San Francisco. Pliant’s Internship Program will start June 10th and end August 9th.
- Conduct online literature search, summarize data/reports, and present about the assigned project.
- Review manufacturing and packaging batch records and generate/update database of the drug product manufacturing and process parameters as needed.
- Summarize results and prepare data tables of results generated by analytical development team for clinical drug product, stability studies, preclinical formulation studies such as thermodynamic solubility studies, and excipient compatibility studies etc.
- Support organizing and setup of formulation development lab (equipment, excipients and GMP samples etc.).
- Generate and update robust inventory of supplies, chemicals and excipients used in the formulation lab to gain exposure about the components used for formulation development.
- Support additional tasks as requested by the team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, abilities and prior experience required.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college/university during the internship period.
- Currently pursuing a BS/MS/Ph.D. in Biology/ Biotechnology/ Microbiology/ Biomedical Engineering/Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences or related field.
- Strong self-motivation and intellectual curiosity.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of MS-Office Software.
- Must be available for the entire length of the program.
Pliant requires all interns to be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. (subject to any legally required exemptions).
The hourly rate for undergraduate students is $20/hr and $22/hr for graduate students.
To understand how Pliant complies with and manages your personal information with respect to the California Consumer Privacy Act, please visit https://pliantrx.com/ccpa-applicant-and-staff-privacy-notice/.