Nextdoor is where neighbors turn for trusted connections and the exchange of helpful information, goods, and services. Nextdoor’s purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
As a Software Engineer at Nextdoor, you’ll join a focused team of developers, product managers, and designers who are passionate about using technology to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighbor they can rely on. We are a small team of engineers that wear multiple hats and work across different languages and services to deliver value to our members. We care about moving fast and delivering impact, without compromising on quality and reliability. You will have the opportunity to learn from your co-workers and teach them. As a team, we will make each other better and build great software.
The Impact You’ll Make
We believe in empowering our teams to own all aspects of bringing Nextdoor to life. As such, you’ll get the opportunity to make key contributions across our engineering stack - this includes developing and improving frameworks across our frontend and backend services, in addition to making direct contributions to your team’s product area.
In addition to writing code, you’ll have the opportunity to help define the features that we build, through collaboration internally, and in some cases, talking to our customers and members to understand how we can better serve them. You’ll also get the chance to collaborate with product managers and designers to drive Nextdoor forward. We believe engineers should have a stake over all aspects of the product - from coming up with the next big ideas to build, through helping set expectations and plan roadmaps, all the way through understanding the impact of new features through rigorous data analysis. As your career at Nextdoor develops, you’ll also get the chance to grow your role towards what you’re most passionate about.
Day-to-day you should expect to be doing the following:
- Backend development in a variety of languages/frameworks including:
- Collaborating with product management and design to ensure we work on the right things in the right way.
- Working with other engineering teams in Toronto, San Francisco and beyond.
What You’ll Bring to The House
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Engineer and a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience.
- Strong coding abilities in at least one language. Python or Java experience preferred.
- Experience building and deploying flexible backend systems at scale.
- Strong fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a dynamic startup environment.
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems.
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the customers we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.