At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this Job
The R&D Sr. Manager for MSAT will have the unique opportunity to lead media formulation projects from conception to execution, scale-up media manufacturing, and hydration of cell culture media. This individual will oversee media development for MSAT across research and platform development activities, helping to create an efficient pipeline to support the manufacturing sciences, commercial manufacturing, R&D, quality, and regulatory teams. The role will collaborate closely with scientists, engineers, and data experts to formulate and execute a strategy for scalable cell culture media production for cultivated meat.
A successful candidate will troubleshoot processes related to cell culture media manufacturing and feel comfortable developing a scientific knowledge base by learning new methods from peers, seminars, and scientific literature.
- Lead projects to scale up and troubleshoot cell culture media manufacturing for the production of cultivated meat.
- Develops new procedures for media manufacturing sciences, commercial media manufacturing, and other relevant areas.
- Media formulation includes dry powder handling, dry powder mixing, milling, and blending. In addition to performing media hydration and sterilization.
- Fosters a team environment collaborating scientifically with direct team members as well as scientists in other departments. Open to new ideas and often seeks critical feedback from colleagues and demonstrates effective cooperation.
- Mentor and supervise others in areas of expertise. Builds upon and strengthens new solutions in a positive and collaborative manner.
- Maintains laboratory notebooks with detailed experimental designs and results.
- Prepares written project reports and presents oral updates/summaries at team meetings.
- Develop and nurture internal and external relationships with key colleagues, collaborators, and vendors.
- Actively engage external scientists and internal customers in research collaborations where appropriate.
- Maintain scientific scholarship through internal and external networking and frequent literature reviews
- B.S./M.S./Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, bioengineering, or closely related science. With 5+ years of industrial cell culture media manufacturing science, and research and development experience in the biopharmaceutical or similar industry.
- Mastery of cell culture media manufacturing (liquid, and powder processing and handling) from benchtop to commercial scales.
- Experience troubleshooting media scale-up in various systems.
- Technological understanding of cell culture production equipment and manufacturing environments
- Ability to troubleshoot solubility, and chemical reactions
- Critical thinking skills
- Root cause analysis
- Chemistry of media components
- Knowledge of liquid media filtration
- Experience leading teams and projects.
- Competent with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and statistical software etc.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of statistical design of experiment techniques (DOE)
- Mammalian and/or avian cell culture and recombinant protein expression. e.g. generation of stable cell lines expressing relevant levels of a r-protein.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.