At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration and Courage and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
This position provides business development leadership on analyzing and executing the company’s partnering strategy and ecosystem building/expansion/evolution, ensuring cross-functional alignment and support by working closely with the Lyell Executive Committee and appropriate governance teams. The corporate strategy component of the role ensures that the company has a clear, data-driven strategy that accurately evaluates and understands internal and external opportunities to support and guide Lyell’s vision and direction.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead the identification, evaluation, and due diligence of partnering opportunities in line with Lyell’s strategy and needs. Partner closely with Research & Development to evaluate new technologies and potential opportunities
- Negotiate and implement major company contracts in partnership with Lyell’s Legal Team, including in-licensing and out-licensing deals and strategic collaborations
- Lead the company’s Transaction Team, a cross-functional group comprised of Business Development, Legal, Intellectual Property, and Alliance Management which vets and develops detailed recommendations for company transactions large and small (with final presentation and facilitation of decision-making at corporate-level governance committees)
- Own the company’s Alliance Management effort to facilitate the lifecycle of all Lyell partners, including potential expansion of scope and advancement to development and commercialization
- Build and maintain a detailed understanding of Lyell’s pipeline, technologies, and scientific position to help the organization make informed short and long-term decisions about Lyell’s strategy and direction
- Guide Lyell’s Executive Committee in analyzing business decisions and special projects related to Lyell’s strategy through meticulous, insightful analysis and influential communication and interpersonal skills
- Partner with Program Management, Legal/Intellectual Property, and Finance to accurately reflect the ongoing state of key programs and partnerships within the Corporate Strategy
- Work collaboratively across the company to facilitate strategic alignment amongst Research, Development, Information Sciences, and CMC
- Collaborate closely with Finance to ensure Lyell’s Long Range Plan has robust and clear assumptions and supports near- and longer-term strategic objectives
- Lead the company’s competitive intelligence efforts for awareness and to inform strategic decisions in the context of the broader competitive landscape
Preferred Experience and Education:
- Strong executive leadership experience with business/corporate development or operations familiarity
- In-depth mergers and acquisitions experience within a biotech industry
- BSc in biology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 20 years’ experience; or
- MBA or MSc in biology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 17 years experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to build, lead and empower teams across multiple functions
- Collaborative leadership style
- Proven strength in contract negotiation with an understanding of legal, IP and regulatory requirements
- Strong executive presence with the ability to lead executive discussions, focus on detail, and think strategically
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.