Since 2005, BOLD has established itself as a job seeker’s ally. Unlike our competitors that specialize in posting jobs for employers, BOLD’s focus steadfastly remains on the job seeker. Our top-rated tools offer job seekers of every walk of life the help they need to get the jobs they want.
A profitable, mature startup, BOLD walks with the job seeker through every phase of the job search process. Our award-winning resume and cover letter builders have helped millions of job seekers in more than 180 countries create the application materials they need to succeed.
BOLD’s brands have a presence across the globe and BOLD is continuing to build its international offerings and serve millions of job seeker.
Bold is looking for a Senior Director, Intellectual Property and M&A, who will serve as the principal legal liaison and be responsible of securing, protecting, and enforcing Bold’s intellectual property portfolio as well as provide support to Bold’s mergers and acquisitions activities.
H/she will work with multiple internal stakeholders to support key initiatives in the IP and M&A internal practices. This position is for you if you can drive strategy as well as execute fast and diligently in these two areas. You'll work in close partnership with and influence strategic investments with cross-functional stakeholders. This hands-on position will be part of Bold’s legal group and report directly to BOLD’s Senior Director, Business and Corporate Affairs.
This position will entail managing an in-house IP legal team and providing oversight and direction. The Senior Director will be responsible for developing and meeting team goals, as well as creating and maintaining procedures and policies to encourage team performance, and delegate responsibilities and expect accountability and regular feedback. The Senior Director will lead the team to meet the organization's expectations for productivity, quality, continuous improvement, and goal accomplishment. This position will also oversee maintain the IP team’s work schedules including assignments, training, vacations, paid time off, and effectively allocate resources to accomplish the work and meet productivity and quality goals. Furthermore, the Senior Director will meet with the team on a regular basis, appropriately communicate organization information through one-on-one or team meetings, through email, instant messaging, and regular interpersonal communication.
- Manage and drive Bold’s Intellectual property portfolio and strategy, including providing counseling to internal stakeholders on IP opportunities and risks
- Lead and support the expansion of the company’s patent portfolio, including proactively identifying and support the development of patentable intellectual property by working closely with internal stakeholders and outside counsel to draft, prepare, file, and prosecute related patent applications
- Identify potential trademarks, copyrights and other intellectual property within our brands and ensure these are effectively and efficiently protected
- Review and assist in the drafting and/or negotiation of nondisclosure, research, license, and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property
- Assess and advise on IP risks and opportunities in transactions, including in commercial agreements and other related partnerships
- Draft and negotiate complex partnership agreements, distribution agreements, professional services agreements, content development agreements, and other general commercial agreements involving the use and distribution of Bold’s intellectual property.
- Serve as cross-functional leader, engaging with the global leadership team and teams across the company to identify new intellectual property opportunities and identify process improvement
- Support internal partners on legal, product, engineering, content and marketing to address a broad range of IP issues
- Develop deep knowledge of Bold’s existing and planned research and development programs, business activities, and products in the context of competitor activities, industry trends, best practices, laws, and regulations affecting Bold’s intellectual property
- Provide training to internal stakeholders to promote awareness of Bold’s intellectual property, and our strategy to protect it and enforce it against competitors
- Lead and assist on significant partnership relationships with third parties, including designing and negotiating complex partnership deals
- Leading and support on a wide range of corporate and M&A transactions, transaction management including managing external counsel, liaising with senior stakeholders and executives from across the organization
- Draft, review and negotiate M&A transaction documentation, including non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent, term sheets and definite transaction and earnout agreements, as well as manage and work through due diligence efforts, and support through closing and post-closing integration matters
- Assist with other special corporate and commercial projects with key stakeholders of the business
- Work closely with our internal business and compliance teams, as well as with external advisors and experts
- Manage projects effectively, with a team-oriented approach
- Structure, draft and review reports, excel files, power points and other type of documents
- Conduct legal research, both on local laws and international laws, and draft legal documents, policies, agreements and memoranda
- Manage budget and support the finance team on related budget matters, as well as when working with outside counsel
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the team management
- Minimum of 10 years of subject matter experience in IP (patents, copyright, trademark, IP licensing) and intermediary liability issues and laws globally, including DMCA, CDA, Fair Use, EU Copyright Directive, and E-Commerce Directive
- JD from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing
- Patent preparation and prosecution experience, including familiarity with US, EU, and UK IP rules, regulations, and practices
- Experience with the evolving IP regulatory landscape globally
- Ability to approach IP creation and protection with a strategic mindset by anticipating future business, competitive and legal risks, and opportunities and offering creative solutions
- Experience in drafting and negotiating IP terms in business transactions required
- Experience with collaborations and license agreements is strongly preferred
- Experience with negotiating, drafting, and working on complex partnership agreements
- Experience in working through and managing mergers and acquisitions activities
- Experience specifically in the SaaS tech industry strongly preferred
- Strong business acumen and the ability to creatively resolve business issues
- Ability to manage outside counsel and other external resources for quality work product, value, and efficiency
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Flexibility, willingness, and ability to take on diverse tasks
- Minimum 5 years people management experience including managing leaders and managing remotely across regions, proven track record of attracting, scaling, and developing teams
- Cross-functional leadership and relationship building: Experience working cross-functionally with all levels of management, both internally and externally
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Strong decision-making abilities, attention to detail, and ability to give executive-level guidance in a timely manner
- Requires travel flexibility to the US and abroad, and availability to work during different time zones, including Eastern, Pacific, India, and Europe time zones
BOLD is a fast-paced, innovative company full of smart, committed people who are passionate about our products and love helping people find the career of their dreams. We balance work and fun while continuing to build a successful, fast-growing company that is changing the way people get jobs.
Our vision is to revolutionize the online career world by creating transformational products that help people find the careers they love and reach their full potential.
BOLD is an equal opportunity employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Certain group health plans are required to disclose on a public website information regarding in-network provider rates and historical out-of-network allowed amounts and billed charges for covered items and services in two separate machine-readable files (MRFs). The MRFs for the Triple S Salud medical benefit plans are linked below as of July 1, 2022: