We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The mission of the Success & Protect team at Instacart is to build outstanding products and tools to ensure a useful, secure, fraud-free Instacart platform. As a Machine Learning Engineer on the Success & Protect team, you will be responsible for applying sophisticated machine learning techniques to prevent and detect fraud behaviors. You will also own, build, deploy and monitor fraud and risk defense solutions that benefit Instacart’s business, products and operations. You will work with dedicated and welcoming engineers in a critical and meaningful area. The ideal candidate is passionate about crafting innovative solutions and has a curiosity for solving real business problems.
ABOUT THE JOB
- This is an individual contributor role where you will own the detection and prevention of fraud issues end-to-end, including deep-diving into the business problem, prioritizing the problem, defining success metrics, creating new features, developing new models, and productionizing the model with Machine Learning Infra teams.
- Work multi-functionally with product managers, data scientists, data analysts, operations, and other engineering teams to define and drive new initiatives.
- Contribute to the next-generation ML frameworks, platforms, and infrastructure by working with the data infrastructure and platform teams.
- Become a thought leader in your domain, mentor junior engineers across the org, and help the org grow and evolve.
- 2+ years of experience as a machine learning engineer or applied machine learning scientist.
- Proven programming skills, including proficiency in Ruby, Python, Java, C++ or other programming languages.
- Experience developing and productionizing machine learning models.
- Deep understanding of one of the following domains: fraud detection, risk management, and account security.
- Experience with impactful ML experience in the field of fraud & risk.
- Experience with data platforms, like Kafka or Flink.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills with diverse cross functional partners across all levels.
- Passion for working and growing in a fast-growing company and organization.
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.