We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re seeking creative problem solvers who love the challenge of creating quality work within a fast-paced, ever-evolving technology startup.
You know what it takes to keep engineers – and designers – engaged and motivated by a design system. You're able to see how their contributions connect to the bigger picture – the company, and beyond to our end users.
Our web products are used by millions of people every year. In order to meet – and exceed expectations – we are rapidly improving and modernizing our front end code base, raising our expectations for product quality on the web, and opening up our internal libraries to the open source community for feedback.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will own, help evolve, and scale our design system efforts for web products.
ABOUT THE TEAM
You will be collaborating closely with senior and staff engineers in our foundation teams to continue scaling our design system efforts by balancing the needs of all sides of our marketplace ecosystem.
The Instacart Design System team is highly collaborative and, as a Senior Software Engineer, you will also work closely with designers and product managers to continue building out a robust, reliable, and scalable design system.
ABOUT THE JOB
We believe that a design system should emerge from the needs of our teams and are looking for a strong front end engineer excited to put their users first. You will be part of a small team with extensive ownership and the ability to help set best practices and contribute to improvements.
As a craft leader, you'll be responsible for contributing to the strategy and vision, as well as the day-to-day implementation of the design system. To be successful, you will have to balance two key sides of this role: stakeholder management and engineering work.
In your day to day you will be expected to teach and advocate for best practices, actively gather user feedback, support developers and designers using – and contributing to – the system, mentor developers, and communicate system updates. You will also be proactive in spearheading new initiatives, coding and documenting components, and overseeing UI component design to provide timely feedback.
You will also work with other front end engineers in the organization to set the standards across the software development process for code quality for our web products.
- Extensive experience with front-end testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha, Enzyme, etc)
- Understanding and appreciation for great design and strong attention to detail
- Strong understanding and proved experience applying WCAG Accessibility standards
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
- Strong sense of ownership working with a large codebase on a multi-functional team, while maintaining high engineering standards and bringing consistency to our codebase
- Collaborative mindset to be able to partner with engineers, designers and PM's from multiple teams to create impactful solutions in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to communicate and present ideas clearly and influence key stakeholders at the manager,
director, and VP level
- 5+ years of working experience in a similar field/environment
- 1+ years of experience contributing to design systems and a strong desire to build large scalable front-end systems using atomic design principles
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering OR equivalent work experience
- Strong general programming and algorithm skills
- Data driven mindset
- Experience designing digital products or using existing design tools (Figma, Sketch, XD, etc)
- Knowledge of modern front-end build systems and languages (Webpack, ES6, Babel, etc)
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.