We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It’s an industry that’s been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people’s lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
Instacart recently acquired Caper AI to help retailers unify the in-store and online shopping experience for customers no matter how they choose to shop. Caper’s cutting-edge, AI-powered shopping carts and automated checkout counters bring together online and offline shopping to create a completely new in-store experience for customers.
In addition to acquiring Caper AI’s technology, we’re delighted to welcome the Caper team to the Instacart family. The global Caper team is based primarily in New York City and Shanghai, China, and will bring new hardware expertise to Instacart’s already deep product and technology team. Together, we’re excited to create new ways for retailers to solve for the ever-changing needs of their businesses and customers.
Caper builds smart shopping carts powered by deep learning and computer vision to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience. We differ from other emerging cashier-less technologies because we are the scalable solution. Caper’s autonomous checkout technology is plug and play, meaning it requires no in-store renovation, no operational overhaul, no heavy computations or endless image labeling. Any retailer can buy the carts and their entire store is upgraded with cashier-less capabilities. Caper costs less than 1% of other cashier-less competitor’s infrastructure. We are already live in-stores and our customers love us!
As a part of the Caper team, you’ll be a part of a culture that cares about its people and the future we’re shaping together. At Caper, we may all come from different backgrounds, but we all share one common vision - to fundamentally disrupt the retail industry.
We empower our product teams to solve hard problems – customer problems and business problems – in ways that our customers love, yet work for our business. Our product teams are cross-functional and durable, generally composed of a product manager, a product designer, and several engineers.
We staff our product teams with the skills necessary to come up with effective solutions that are valuable (our customers choose to buy or use), viable (the solution works within the many constraints of the business), usable (the user can figure out how to use) and feasible (our engineers have the skills and technology to implement). The design team spans the disciplines of product design, industrial design, marketing design, and brand design.
We consider each touchpoint with our shoppers & partners – whether it’s the onboarding flow of our carts, a promotional sign, or an email – to be part of the same customer journey. As such, our design organization owns that complete customer experience. We’re passionate about building ONE design organization to provide ONE comprehensive customer experience. And we need your help to do this!
You will be leading a team of designers, focused on ensuring we have the right structure, tools and principles in place to deliver world-class products with world-class customer experiences. You will be a key leader within the company that is responsible for the core design sensibilities of Caper, and an active participant in identifying initiatives tied to our company objectives. You will work with your team to derive and act on the insights gathered from a multitude of sources: shoppers, partners, session data, industry trends, etc.
- Build a rigorous, strong design culture and design process
- Infuse the Caper spirit, brand, and visual design language into design, product, operations and sales teams.
- Collaborate with Product Teams to activate a Rapid Experimentation framework, to iterate on our overall product offering.
- Develop our team of designers, helping them to build their design, presentation, and feedback skills.
- Provide creative direction and feedback based on process, craft, communication, and stakeholder management.
- Define bold, long-term visions for our products and services, and motivate both teams and individual designers to achieve them.
- Create an environment where creativity flourishes.
- Help to elevate the voice of design in the company.
- 7+ years of Design experience, with 3+ years of growing, managing and inspiring a team to greatness.
- You have built teams, enjoy managing others, and know what talent you need to scale an in-house design organization supporting product, operations, sales, and engineering.
- You take great pleasure in leading designers of all backgrounds to work together to execute on a shared product vision.
- You enjoy investing time and energy into guiding your team toward new goals that will help them grow in their careers and bring new skills to the organization.
- You’re a student of great design. You’ve been experimenting for over a decade with new ways of creating engaging customer experiences while leveraging the best elements of traditional best practices.
- You are both a strategic and visual designer. Your bar for quality is extremely high and you hold those around you to that standard.
- You enjoy the disciplines of brand, product, and communications design and you’re cognizant of how they support one another.
- You have experience developing a strong consumer brand and building that out across mobile, web, marketing, and physical products.
- You are an expert in the technical aspects of design and the different mediums that involve designers including digital products, physical products, print collateral, and marketing campaigns.
- While you are a passionate creative at heart, you have an analytical and logical approach to design, ensuring that time and resources are being used thoughtfully.
- Experience with computer vision, software + hardware , IoT products a plus
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.