We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Director, Engineering will lead Caper’s development in building a brand new ecosystem for physical retail. In this role you will focus on delivering a sophisticated product that combines computer vision, hardware and software.
Instacart’s goal has always been to support grocers and give retailers of all sizes an edge in an increasingly competitive industry, while creating a seamless experience for customers and shoppers. With Caper AI we bring together online and offline shopping to create a completely new in-store shopping experience for both customers and Instacart shoppers alike.
To be successful in this role, you should have extensive experience in building a world class team by recruiting and retaining the best engineering talent in the industry. You must be deeply technical and an influential leader, with a strong business instinct. In addition, you are an expert in stakeholder management and strategy communication. You will help strengthen the engineering culture and refine a process that will shape the future of the team.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Caper builds smart shopping carts powered by deep learning and computer vision to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience. Caper’s unique technology is a plug- and-play solution that does not require retail store renovation, operational overhaul, heavy compute, and endless image labeling & training. Retailers simply purchase smart shopping carts and the entire store is upgraded with cashierless capabilities!
Caper is one of the fastest-growing retail automation technology products in the market, costs less than 1% of our competitions’ infrastructure and is already widely adopted in the marketplace. Our cross-functional and durable Product team solves hard customer & business problems in ways that our customers love.
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Excited to revolutionize the retail industry
- Lead and drive our software and hardware engineering teams building an ecosystem for physical retail
- Continue strengthening the technical and people leadership of a fast growing engineering team
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Design, and Senior Leadership across the company to meet business goals
- Work with the executive team on roadmap planning and delivery schedules
- Instill a culture of urgency while not sacrificing code confidence and product quality
- Manage, recruit, and retain amazing talent
- Coach, grow, and run the daily operations of the engineering team
- Empathetic of others and able to inspire the team
- 8+ years of professional experience in software development and 5+ years in engineering leadership
- Broad engineering knowledge with an emphasis on complex mobile device development and fleet management, backend system design and architecture, big data processing, and site reliability
- Excellent communication, management, and leadership skills with an ability to run, scale, and retain the team
- Extensive experience in agile development, scrum workflow, and a sense for product and project management
- Delivered results in a fast-paced, unpredictable environment, and shipped high-availability, mission-critical systems on time
- Experience developing hardware and/or human computer interaction products
- Strong presentation skills and experiences managing multiple stakeholders
- Experience developing consumer-facing products, in retail, restaurant, hospitality or e-commerce
- Experience with machine learning and deep learning technology
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.