We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Curbside Pickup represents one of Instacart’s most important and fastest-growing verticals with an overall market size of $40B. As part of the Pickup organization, you’ll develop Instacart into the leading Pickup e-commerce provider. The Store Management team within Pickup empowers corporate and store managers with the tools to manage and optimize their Pickup and Warehouse operations. In this position, you’ll partner closely with senior leaders across many disciplines to develop a comprehensive strategy around building indispensable and innovative solutions for our retail partners.
As an Engineering Manager, you’ll lead the team to develop robust and creative solutions on Mobile, Web, and Backend to bring innovative technologies to our retailers’ store operations. The team is directly responsible for the management of Pickup operations, which includes:
- Building creative technology solutions to empower store managers with the tools they need to run best in class Pickup operations
- Creating indispensable real-time data and insights to drive efficiencies in warehouse operations
- Collaborating with different ML teams to develop complex models and tools that minimize lost consumer demand while driving optimizations in Pickup labor staffing and utilization
- Scaling our onboarding, management, and go to market strategy for new Pickup expansions to enable us to bring the thousands of individual stores across North America to Instacart’s marketplace
- Partnering with key strategic retailers to unlock critical relationships through custom enterprise integrations and solutions
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a full-stack engineering team and manage the development of features and infrastructure.
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- You will provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Strong analytical skills and a sense of ownership
- Good understanding of what architectural or tooling improvements are needed on different platforms (BE, Web, iOS, Android)
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.