We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
The Fulfillment Marketplace team is at the core of Instacart. Our system supports millions of shoppers on the Instacart platform through mobile and web experiences by offering immediate and flexible earnings opportunities, and it must also be highly reliable at all times to ensure that Instacart’s customers receive on-time and high-quality deliveries. A major aspect of the team's success is to find the efficient frontier between service availability and fulfillment cost, all the while providing the best customer experience.
As a Data Science manager for the Fulfillment Marketplace team, you’ll hire and lead a team of data scientists responsible for one or more aspects of the shopper side of Instacart’s multi-sided marketplace. Our teams are responsible for improving the shopper experience, maintaining the balance of supply and demand, designing shopper payment and incentives structures, driving efficiency in the assignment of work to shoppers, improving the productivity of shoppers inside the store, and a variety of other critical issues. You will be a trusted partner to Directors of Product, and Engineering. We’re looking for an experienced leader who can hit the ground running and influence decision-making across the entire organization.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Build and lead a high-performing team of data scientists
- You will be responsible for the health of your teams' data - its completeness and its quality
- You and your team will have a high impact on your stakeholder teams, product and operations, and will hold yourselves accountable to measurable improvements in business outcomes
- You and your team will design rigorous experiments and interpret results to draw detailed and actionable conclusions
- You and your team will develop statistical models to extract trends, measure results, and predict future performance of our product
- You and your team will enable objective decision making across the company by democratizing data through dashboards and other analytical tools
- You and your team will use expertise in causal inference, machine learning, optimization, complex systems modeling, economics etc. to shape the future of Instacart
- You and your team will present findings in a compelling way to influence Instacart’s leadership
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field with 5+ years of working experience as a data scientist
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of data scientists
- Experience leading teams working on gig economy issues, multi-sided marketplaces, logistics, or e-commerce
- Ability to run rigorous experiments and come up with scientifically sound recommendations
- Ability to write complex, efficient, and eloquent SQL queries to extract data
- Ability to write efficient and eloquent code in Python or R
- A desire to build and improve consumer software products
- Ability to translate business needs into analytical frameworks
- Eagerness to learn, flexibility to pivot when needed, savviness to navigate and thrive in a dynamic environment, and a growth mindset needed to build a successful team and company
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.