We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
Our catalog is at the core of Instacart and impacts every part of our business - how our consumers shop, how our retailers represent their offering, how our brands advertise their products, and how our shoppers locate products for our consumers. This role will lead the dynamic Catalog Content Operations team and will be at the center of identifying new sources of content, and maintaining and improving our content.
As the manager of the Catalog Content Operations Team, you will lead a large team who are the experts on our catalog and serve as the primary technical point of contact for multiple external and internal stakeholders. The mandate of the team is to continuously increase the content, quality, and accuracy of Instacart’s catalog to enable a world-class experience across all partners. This role will be focused on 4 key areas: team management, catalog data quality, advertiser/brand support, and process improvement. The team’s core responsibilities are to: drive data quality and regulatory compliance initiatives; manage relationships with third party vendors and content service providers; serve as the catalog experts for brands; work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to influence the product roadmap and improve process; and leverage catalog data to execute on merchandising initiatives.
The ideal candidate is a sharp, thoughtful, collaborative problem solver and skilled communicator, with a partner service mindset. They will have a strong technical and analytical background, as well as the desire to make a significant business impact by owning and driving content curation and sourcing strategies to enable major business objectives. They will develop and nurture strong relationships with internal partners across the business, such as Product, Data Science, Engineering, and CPG Partner Management, and external partners, such as data curation vendors, content service providers, and brands. They will help to identify and onboard new vendors and content service providers (CSPs) to continually refresh and maintain the catalog. Strength in communication and process are critical.
Want to learn more? Lettuce show you the way!
ABOUT THE JOB
- Manage a large team and ensure a continuous improvement mindset into all team members
- Hire, train, and mentor the team
- Create an atmosphere where team members feel empowered to own workstreams and drive towards meaningful business outcomes
- Continually refine the team structure to improve team performance
Catalog Data Quality
- Oversee team members who are managing workstreams on catalog data quality. Team members’ responsibilities include identifying use cases, quantifying the impact, working with Product and Engineering to develop fixes, and managing data quality vendors
- Work with external partners to ensure content coverage and improve data quality. Lead discussions on requirements, scoping, and fees, and negotiate contracts with data quality vendors and content service providers
- Manage relationships with external vendors on an ongoing basis, with a focus on optimizing quality and efficiency, and train the team to manage these relationships
- Lead the team in optimizing how we onboard content into our catalog
- Lead the team in investigating and trouble-shooting advertiser issues and developing ways to proactively resolve these issues
- Join escalation calls with priority advertisers to resolve questions and train the team on how to manage advertisers’ objections and concerns.
- Determine the future model for engaging with brands that advertise on Instacart and grow our partnership with the Brand Advertising team
- Define and build tools/processes to improve content capture and validation. Identify opportunities to automate manual processes or use tools to improve processes
- Influence the product roadmap and cross-functional stakeholders to build new catalog tools and features to improve efficiency for the team and external partners
- Work on cross-functional projects with Engineering, Business Development, Product, CPG, and Retailer Catalog Operations teams
- Become an expert on Instacart’s content systems and act as a resource for other team members across the company in the diagnosis, planning, and execution of content catalog projects
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree
- 7+ years experience working in content operations, data quality, data analytics, site merchandising, or a similar area at a consumer technology company. Experience in e-commerce merchandising or digital product content sourcing is a plus
- 3+ years of people management experience is preferred
- Analytical mindset with comfort in SQL
- Passion for eCommerce, data, and creating great user experiences
- Experienced in leading internal and external conversations with stakeholders at all levels - C-suite, VP, Director, and Manager peers
- Experience negotiating with and managing third party vendors
- Excellent project management skills and ability to balance competing priorities
- Experience automating manual processes or using technology to improve processes
- Ability to quickly understand and confidently translate complex concepts to non-technical and executive audiences
- Desire to go deep into metrics and explore new ideas
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Comfort with ambiguity and a rapidly evolving business landscape