We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
As the Sr. Director, Internal Audit, this role’s primary responsibility will be to develop and execute the Internal Audit annual plan, ensuring the maintenance of high professional standards of the IIA, and supporting the continued growth and expansion of the Company’s business. The Director will be a key member of the Accounting leadership team, reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, and will be highly visible throughout the organization. Frequent communication with executive management and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors will be required. The ideal candidate will bring a solution-oriented mindset and risk-based approach to identifying, evaluating, and addressing critical business risks and the relevant business and governance processes.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Develop annual audit plans and schedules using a risk-based approach, creating a pipeline of projects for short-, medium-, and long-term, related to operational compliance, regulatory compliance, and controls over financial reporting
- Allocate sufficient flexibility in the audit plan to accommodate risk profile changes or respond to urgent events (i.e. ethics reviews, fraud, cyber intrusion), while maintaining appropriate coverage of high risk areas
- Develop and maintain a strong knowledge of the Company’s products, operations, practices, and business issues.
- Understand Company structure and functional responsibility
- Act as the “go-to” person for risk management (Risk Leader) and internal controls within the organization providing reliable and insightful guidance for implementing controls within a business process in an efficient and effective manner
- Oversee operational and compliance audits, including the scoping, testing and documentation of the results
- Communicate identified findings and propose recommendations to management and the Audit Committee; track the remediation and closure of findings
- Oversee all public company readiness activities with respect to the Company’s internal control environment
- Ensure appropriateness of internal control documentation for financial processes, IT applications, and ITGC’s, including planning documents, narratives, process maps, walkthroughs, and tests of controls
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the external independent auditor, providing direction and oversight to the assistance provided to the external auditor over internal control and financial audits
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the management teams of all major functional areas, ensuring a holistic understanding of key risks and processes of the organization
- Proactively advise management on key risk areas and drive remediation plans balancing risk mitigation with pragmatic processes
- Interact professionally and frequently with external auditors, regulators, compliance agencies/contractors, legal counsel, court appointed parties etc. Create a collaborative working relationship with all external stakeholders
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with executive management and the Audit Committee, ensuring appropriate oversight to key corporate risks, processes, and controls
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting
- CIA, CPA, CISA or other relevant professional certification highly desired
- 8+ years of Sarbanes-Oxley audit experience
- Demonstrated experience managing audits within a complex operational and regulatory environment
- Experience with high volume eCommerce platform enterprises preferred
- Experience interacting with external auditors, general counsel and regulators
- Advanced knowledge of public company internal control requirements
- Advanced understanding of financial and business processes and the risks surrounding those processes
- Strong understanding of IT risks and controls and their overall impact to financial control environments
- Strong supervisory and time management skills.
- Experience managing a team that is a mix of professional staff and third party consultants
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical, organizational, and presentation skills