We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
Our Web products are used by millions of people every year and we manage the online grocery E-commerce experience for the largest retailers across North America. In order to meet and exceed these expectations, we are significantly improving and modernizing our front-end code base, raising our expectations for product quality on web, and re-thinking how we deliver a first class user experiences to a diverse set of retail partners. We’re accelerating these efforts by growing the number of strong front-end Engineers on our team.
Some of the front-end centric projects we’re focused on now are:
- Cross-functional update of core storefront experiences and the code driving it, from Angular to React
- Refresh of the design and delivery of our configurations and styles
- Re-thinking our content management solutions to empower our retail partners to build delightful experiences all their own
- Refresh of our design system and component/service libraries
- Improved front-end build, deploy, and A/B test tooling
- Improved tools for our retail partners, with a focus on empowering the merchandisers who trust Instacart to support their online grocery experiences everyday
Our biggest challenge in front-end right now is keeping up with our scale. There’s a huge opportunity to own core systems and have a meaningful impact on how our front-end is shaped and delivered in the future.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will be part of a team, with a large amount of ownership and responsibility for setting best practices and raising the front-end bar for your team
- You will work with other front-end Engineers in the organization to raise the bar for product and code quality within the web product
- You will work closely with Product Managers, Designers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to shipping the solution
- You will maintain our high Engineering standards and bring consistency to our codebase
- You will ship high quality, scalable and robust solutions with a sense of urgency
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives
- Strong knowledge of modern front-end build systems and languages (Webpack, ES6, Babel, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of and experience with front-end testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha, Enzyme, etc.)
Nice to have:
- A willingness to learn back-end frameworks and technologies, primarily Ruby on Rails and SQL/ActiveRecord
- Experience working with APIs [GraphQL (Preferable)/REST]
- Experience in building large scalable front-end systems
- Experience integrating and weaving together multiple internal systems on a cross functional team
- Familiar with SPA vs SSR vs Static Sites, trade-offs, performance considerations
- 5+ years of relevant web development experience
- Excited by constantly learning new technologies & skillsets - thrives in a collaborative team environment
- Ownership over systems and team that you work on
- Advocate for improving software & process
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams including Infrastructure and other Product teams across the company to deliver a consistently great user experience.
- As part of a core/critical business function, be able to produce good written technical documentation as an effective means of communication with the rest of the organization
- Be ready to lead the planning, design, implementation, rollout and operation of a feature