We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
Instacart is looking for an accomplished Engineering Manager with a strong background in consumer product and growth. In this position, you will work on improving our core customers product through the lens of growth and user lifecycle. At Instacart, we believe that fundamentally growth is about helping more customers discover the value of our product and form long term habits using the service. This is what we try to achieve on the Core Growth team.
On a day to day basis, you will work with senior engineering, product, data science, design, user research and other disciplines to understand users’ problems, obstacles and find ways to improve their experience through acquisition, activation, retention lifecycle.
As Engineering Manager, your team will own engineering scoping and execution, experiment design and implementation, and the tools and systems that enable feature development and innovation.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a full-stack engineering team and manage the development of features and infrastructure.
- You will work with cross functional team to help customers discover the value of our product and service through different lifecycles.
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- You will provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will help team members grow as technical contributors and members of Instacart community
- You will develop a team culture of curiosity, impact, ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
- Strong ability to work well cross functionally, and balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Strong analytical skills, a sense of ownership, and a mindset of curiosity and continuous learning
- Strong ability to approach problems from first principles and solve problems at different levels of abstraction
- Experience or knowledge of building pricing platforms is a plus.
- Understand what longer term architectural or tooling improvements are needed on different platforms (BE, FE, iOS, Android, Data Engineering)
- Understand how to keep the team motivated and productive in a highly dynamic and fast moving environment
- Have demonstrated experience helping engineers and other technical team members grow in their career
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers