Ampersand Biomedicines is an innovative, privately held biotechnology company leading the way in developing multi-specific medicines that specifically target complex biological systems. With a strong emphasis on innovation, Ampersand cultivates a highly dynamic and entrepreneurial environment. We are actively seeking an exceptional in vivo pharmacologist to join our team and make significant contributions to our pioneering work.
Ampersand was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA) and Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, more than 500 issued patents and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Ampersand is currently seeking a highly motivated research biologist to lead and conduct in vivo rodent studies focused on target validation and therapeutic proof-of-principle. The grade for this position will be determined based on the candidate's level of experience.
As a member of our team, you will be responsible for designing and executing in vivo studies to gain insight into biodistribution, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics (PK/PD), and functional activity of early-stage biologics. This role offers the opportunity to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, where you will have the chance to work independently and collaboratively within a highly integrated team. This is a primarily on-site role in South Boston.
- Design, plan, and execute animal studies aimed at evaluating the in vivo efficacy, safety, biomarker profiles, and PK/PD characteristics of multi-specific antibodies based on Ampersand’s platform to target specific cells and tissues.
- Develop relevant animal models to assess the efficacy of therapeutic candidates across various portfolio projects, particularly in the fields of inflammation and immunology.
- Perform in vivo and ex vivo analyses to explore how therapeutic leads mechanistically mediate their biological actions.
- Collaborate with and oversee research activities conducted by Contract Research Organizations (CROs).
- Communicate experimental findings effectively through oral presentations, written reports, and visual formats, ensuring clear and concise dissemination of information.
- Work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment, leveraging diverse perspectives and skill sets to drive scientific progress and innovation.
- Possess a high level of motivation and thrive as a strong team player within a fast-paced, inclusive, team-oriented, multidisciplinary environment characteristic of a small biotech organization.
- PhD in biology, pharmacology or a related discipline with 0-5 years of industry or post-doctoral experience, focusing on hands-on in vivo work with small animals.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct original research utilizing in vivo models to investigate disease biology or biological therapeutics.
- Strong knowledge and practical application of PK/PD principles in the development of protein therapeutics.
- Proficiency in various animal handling procedures, including dosing by IP, SC, and IV routes, as well as blood collection, surgical procedures, and tissue collection.
- Experience in animal or organ imaging using technologies such as IVIS.
- Skilled in PCR, DNA, RNA, and protein preparation.
- Familiarity with diverse assays, such as Western Blots, ELISA, tissue staining for IHC and IF, and cellular phenotyping using flow cytometry.
- Track record of effectively managing in vivo studies at CROs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively present results and scientific data to team leaders, cross-functional teams, academic collaborators, or partners.
- Enthusiastic about playing a pivotal role in the dynamic and multidisciplinary environment of a small biotech, specifically within the realm of in vivo sciences.
Flagship Pioneering is a biotechnology company that invents and builds platform companies, each with the potential for multiple products that transform human health or sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $90 billion in aggregate value. Many of the companies Flagship has founded have addressed humanity’s most urgent challenges: vaccinating billions of people against COVID-19, curing intractable diseases, improving human health, preempting illness, and feeding the world by improving the resiliency and sustainability of agriculture. Flagship has been recognized twice on FORTUNE’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies, and has been twice named to Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies. Learn more about Flagship at www.flagshippioneering.com.
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
At Flagship, we recognize there is no perfect candidate. If you have some of the experience listed above but not all, please apply anyway. Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We are dedicated to building diverse and inclusive teams and look forward to learning more about your unique background.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto