Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™—a new genome engineering technology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to treat diseases at their source. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a motivated and creative Research Associate to join a team of scientists and engineers focused on advancing mRNA-based therapeutics. This is a six-month contract role (with potential to convert to a permanent position) that will include mRNA manufacturing, purification process development, process scale-up and execution of processes to make material for preclinical studies. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that is driving state-of-the-art mRNA process development for a novel platform of Gene Writing.
· Support the generation of preclinical mRNA high quality material generation.
· Execute experiments for screening, optimization, and scale-up efforts for RNA purification via chromatographic separations and filtration processes including tangential flow filtration.
· Troubleshoot lab workflows, maintain equipment according to SOPs and support general laboratory hygiene and safety practices.
· Support the development of in-house mRNA purification capabilities, with an emphasis on establishing a scalable/transferable process for producing high-purity mRNA material.
· Record experimental studies and results in an electronic notebook (ELN). Generate high level summaries of experimental results to support the generation of technical reports for process development studies.
· Collaborate and communicate effectively within the mRNA process development team and across functional groups.
· BS/MS with 1- 3 years of relevant industrial experience. A degree in either Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or Biological Sciences.
· Hands on experience with using separation instruments like TFF is required; AKTA and HPLC is preferred.
· Understanding and experience in biopharmaceutical process development including protein/ mRNA synthesis, purification, is preferred.
· Understanding of nucleic acid chemistry, enzymatic and chemical reactions, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules, is preferred.
· Hands on experience with in vitro transcription and mRNA purification technologies is preferred, but not required.
· Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and technical setting with a track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
· The successful candidate should be collaborative, communicative, and enthusiastic about working with RNA molecules leading to the next generation of genetic medicines.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.