What if you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Labs 72 (FL72) is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to reimagine drug discovery and vaccine design. The company is developing a first-in-class platform for the intelligent design of molecular mimicry. Our platform integrates massively parallel assays with machine-learning-guided protein engineering to navigate the combinatorial space of molecular interactions and design protein-protein interfaces with exquisite precision.
FL72 is a product of Flagship Pioneering's venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT). Since Flagship's founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking creative, motivated Machine Learning Scientists and Protein Engineers to join our expanding Computational Antibody Design team. They will combine protein modeling and ML methods to support the discovery and engineering of novel therapeutic antibodies. The successful candidates will play a key role in formulating and executing on a science & technology strategy that will allow the company to deliver against its goals.
The position requires a strong foundation in computational biophysics, structure-based protein design, and/or deep neural networks. They will also work closely with the computational biology team and bench scientists to design experiments, leverage in-house datasets, and deploy new algorithms into production. The candidates will join an interdisciplinary and collaborative team at the interface of computational immunology, functional genomics, and next-generation antibody design; they should be comfortable communicating and working with diverse backgrounds in a fast-paced startup environment.
The candidates will have an extraordinary opportunity to be part of the Flagship ecosystem of companies providing unique networking benefits, through regular meetups, collaboration and an environment of development and discussion around new ideas shaping the fields of ML/AI and Biology.
In the interest of fostering collaboration, the candidates are expected to work on-site at our Kendall Square location.
- Design new protein therapeutics using rational protein engineering methods and novel machine learning models.
- Collaborate closely with experimental scientists to realize protein designs, collect and analyze data, and build mechanistic intuition and biochemical understanding.
- Work closely with data engineers, bench scientists, and other computational scientists to integrate FL72's proprietary technology into ML-guided Design-Build-Test-Learn cycles for the design of novel proteins.
- Present and publish results in peer-reviewed journals and scientific conferences.
- Communicate insights and conclusions to colleagues in the scientific and leadership teams.
- M.S., Ph.D. or equivalent experience in computational biology, computational chemistry, computer science, bioengineering, biophysics, or a related field.
- Significant experience with relevant macromolecular modeling software (e.g. Rosetta, MOE, Schrödinger).
- Proficient in at least one software programming language (e.g. Python).
- Familiar with deep learning libraries such as PyTorch, TensorFlow / Keras, JAX, etc.
- Curious and enthusiastic to learn new techniques and able to work with colleagues from diverse scientific backgrounds and cultures.
- 1-4+ years of relevant post-graduate experience either in academia or industry solving problems of pharmaceutical interest related to drug design, protein engineering, and/or vaccine development.
- Proficiency in machine learning, especially in deep neural network models of protein sequence / structure-function prediction (e.g. AlphaFold).
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g. AWS) and deployment of bioinformatic pipelines into production.
- Familiarity with laboratory protein engineering techniques including protein variant library design and construction.
Values and Behaviors:
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial, and innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort in working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will be commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidates.