About the Eames Institute
The Eames Institute is a nonprofit public charity that aims to equip everyone with the lessons of Ray and Charles Eames—the groundbreaking designers who helped shape the modern world. With infinite curiosity for the world around them, Ray and Charles approached their work as an ongoing series of discoveries to develop solutions for any given problem. Their approach was driven by curiosity, enacted with rigor, and expressed with joy and one we believe remains hugely relevant today. With our vast collections, digital and print offerings, extensive program of events, and the Eames Ranch, we seek to demonstrate the enduring value of the Eameses’ philosophy and inspire joyful, problem-solving design.
About the Role
The Eames Institute is in search of a Facilities Specialist to oversee the maintenance of a 15,000-square-foot (and growing) campus in Richmond, CA. Reporting to the Facilities Director, this position has primary responsibilities for maintaining a safe and inviting environment for our staff, guests, and collections. The Facilities Specialist will play a critical role in ensuring the overall safety, security, maintenance, and cleanliness of a newly-renovated building and grounds featuring a workspace for the Eames Institute staff, as well as a warehouse for the Eames Archives. The ideal candidate is self-driven and excited to maintain the space for one of the world’s most significant Eames collections.
As the Facilities Technician, you will:
Maintain Facilities, Grounds & Equipment
- Unlock and open the main building at the beginning of the daily shift.
- Serve as point person for all Richmond facilities-related contractors and vendors, coordinating with the Facilities Director on scheduling and overseeing services provided.
- Tend to overall maintenance of the property, which includes heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HVAC-R), electrical, plumbing, carpentry, custodial, and grounds activities, adhering to maintenance schedules for equipment.
- Ensure excellent standard of cleanliness throughout the buildings, executing on routine janitorial cleaning duties and other cleaning tasks as they arise.
- Complete inventory and supply orders in accordance with the Facilities Director.
- Provide trash management, including staging trash containers for pick-up.
- Secure and lock the buildings at the end of the daily shift.
Provide Facilities Support to Onsite Staff
- Ensure smooth daily operation of property and respond to staff needs and requests with thorough execution.
- Assist the Collections team with the moving and arranging of Collections pallets and items.
- Serve as point person for shipping and receiving, including communication and proper storage for incoming objects.
- Be available for infrequent after-hours emergencies.
- Occasionally respond to requests of two low-maintenance tenants, escalating to the Facilities Director as needed.
Contribute to Organization & Team Culture
- Participate in and add to the Institute’s culture of curiosity and learning.
- Contribute and share technical knowledge, resources, and enthusiasm to the organization as a whole.
- Build and share knowledge, appreciation, and curiosity of the history, contributions, and legacy of Ray and Charles Eames.
- Serve as a foremost in-house advocate and knowledgeable resource pertaining to the operations of the Richmond campus.
- Help cultivate and nurture relationships across teams.
The ideal candidate has:
Required skills, abilities, competencies
- Ability to closely follow safety regulations and meet company policies
- Basic understanding of access control for alarm and camera systems
- Strong communication skills and ability to work well with a diverse group of people, able to use tech-based platform for facilities request (Slack)
Education & Experience
- 2-5 years of experience in building maintenance
- Ability to operate equipment such as scissor lifts, pallet jackets, booms, etc.
- Forklift experience is a plus
Work hours, working styles, and additional benefits
This role requires the individual to be onsite at our Richmond facility, Monday through Friday
What you can expect
The Eames Institute offers a competitive benefits package, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, for which the organization covers 99% of the cost for employees and 75% of the cost for dependents
- Base salary range: $62,500 - $84,500
- 401k employer match up to 6%, commuting benefits, and parental leave
- Wellness benefit of $600 per year to spend on anything that contributes to your mental and physical wellness
- Professional development benefit up to $600 per year to support your continued learning and career development
- $500 match for charitable giving, for every year of service up to five years
- Unlimited paid time off policy in addition to fourteen paid holidays
- Sabbatical leave after five years of employment
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Eames Institute values diversity, inclusion & belonging for all, and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We strive to create a workplace that empowers people of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences to feel respected, valued, and able to contribute at the highest level. If you’re excited by this role but your professional experience doesn’t perfectly align with the qualifications listed, we still encourage you to apply.