What Is Current?
Our mission is to enable budget-conscious consumers to earn additional income from their everyday habits. We accomplish this with an Android app and smartphone that pay users to listen to music, charge their phone, play games, complete surveys; and connect them with exclusive deals to save and earn even more.
We’ve grown our product by several multiples in 2020: over 200,000 people earn on Current daily, we’ve paid out over $1M to people in the last few months, and are maintaining positive margins at an 8-figure revenue run rate.
Our team of 30 works in several autonomous, cross-functional pods. Each pod has a Product Manager, 3-5 Engineers, a designer, and a QA Engineer rallied around a core part of the product; together they are responsible for defining and achieving a set of OKRs. Our team is distributed across the globe.
We are rigorously data-driven with our product and engineering decisions, allowing us to prioritize the best outcome for our users while maintaining a sustainable business.
About The Role
You’ll be joining one of the product teams as an Engineering Manager, with a great degree of autonomy and responsibility for the team.
- working as the engineering counterpart to the Product Manager, understanding and scoping new functionality, and helping with prioritization.
- working with your engineers to breakdown stories into tasks.
- managing the delivery of high-quality, high-impact work.
- conducting weekly 1-1s to develop 3 software engineers and 1 QA engineer.
- evaluating the team, processes, and tech stack, and driving improvements.
- being the primary point of contact for the team to our Director of Engineering.
- coaching the team on best practices.
- Ruby on Rails for our main application.
- NodeJS for a single microservice.
- Postgres for most of our persistent data storage.
- Redis for our in-memory storage/cache.
- AWS for our infrastructure.
- AWS Lambda, Kinesis, SQS, and DynamoDB for a high-throughput event pipeline.
- Java and Kotlin for our Android app.
We’d Love To Talk To You If...
- you have experience managing, mentoring and developing high-performing engineers.
- you’ve previously held senior-level software engineering role(s), preferably with our technology stack.
- you’re a direct, empathetic communicator.
- you’re excited to deliver high-quality features at a fast pace.
- you're comfortable with fast product/user base growth.
The process is normally a 30-minute initial phone interview, a 1-hour technical Assessment with our Sr. Android Developer, a 45-minute interview with out Engineering Manager, and 1-hour final-round Exec/VP interview.
We All Share The Same Core Values
- Lead with Purpose - Leadership does not necessarily mean management. Everyone is a leader, no matter the role. Taking pride in your responsibilities, finding & executing solutions is key.
- Focus on the ‘Why’- The best solutions start with everyone understanding the problem and its impact. We’ve found that if someone understands the ‘why’, they will produce an innovative ‘what’ and ‘how’. If we cannot explain the ‘why’ clearly, we don’t understand the problem ourselves.
- Bring a Sense of Humor - Our work environment is a lighthearted & positive place where employees are united by humor and camaraderie; we believe laughter is a great way to uplift employee morale and form bonds with each other.
- Set New Precedents - We drive innovation and push boundaries for all company activities while understanding that anything worth doing will have roadblocks. We set a new standard of worth for people’s time, data, and attention while rewarding what most other companies take.
- Collaboration - We won’t thrive without recognizing others’ strengths. Listen and evolve together, helping and supporting each other for the sake of a collective goal.
We Believe In The Following Workplace Norms
- Honor Commitments, Your Word Matters - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant & Timely (S.M.A.R.T) Asks & Answers.
- Allow OKRs To Guide Us - Individual & Departmental OKRs will largely impact success at Current Mobile.
- Agree to Disagree & Commit -Voice concerns in a respectful & appropriate manner directly to your manager or the Executive Team.
- Assume Positive Intent - Always start from the idea that a person meant well or was doing their best, no matter what they say or do.
What We Are Offering
- ***We are a remote-first company so this position is 100% remote from anywhere that can overlap with US CST / EST hours***
- Participation in the company's equity & token plan.
- We pay out individual bonuses every two months in accordance with our bi-monthly OKRs.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance with employer contribution.
- Work with highly curated high-caliber people.
- Celebrate employee personal milestones.
- Remote team-building activities every 6-8 weeks
- Virtual happy hours & virtual coffee buddies.
- Bonus.ly - we use bonus.ly as a way to recognize and reward employees for their hard work + commitment.
- Monthly virtual yoga + meditation classes.
- We follow the “12 PM to 1 PM CST Break” - no meetings during this time to encourage team members to take a break in their workday!