Culture Biosciences has built the first cloud bioreactor facility. Customers use our platform to develop new bio-synthesized therapeutics, sustainable foods and sustainable agricultural products. At Culture we combine our passions for engineering and operations to develop and scale our unique technology. We value curiosity, clear communication, kindness, collaboration, customer focus and a drive for results.
To learn more about our product, check out this short explainer video.
Culture Biosciences is looking for a Vice President of Technical Operations. You will build and run teams that perform bioprocess operations. You will be responsible for running all technical operations at Culture, including our North Carolina and South San Francisco facilities.
What you'll do:
- Responsible for high quality, high efficiency microbial fermentation and cell culture operations at our South San Francisco and North Carolina sites.
- Manage the opening of our new site in North Carolina, including hiring, set-up, and capacity planning.
- Build out teams and SOPs needed for new operations, including 5L and pilot-scale manufacturing.
- Maintain and continuously review operational KPIs.
- Collaborate with Alliance Management and Business Development teams to streamline and improve client onboarding and technology transfer.
- Oversee teams that scope and execute projects that improve operations (i.e. MS&T and Fermentation Engineering).
- Manage budgets (operating expenses and capital) and hiring plans for your teams.
- Work with our incoming COO to expand our technical capacity and capabilities.
- Build a team culture that promotes continuous improvement, ownership and individual growth.
Projects on our horizon:
- Opening a new site in North Carolina that more than doubles our operational capacity by the end of 2023.
- Expand our manufacturing capacity to 5L reactors and pilot-scale.
- You will be based near Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, with willingness to travel to the Bay Area once a month.
- You have extensive manufacturing experience; you’ve operated in manufacturing environments where you’ve been responsible for operational improvements and KPIs.
- You are data-driven with strong operational acumen.
- You have experience running and building teams that have performed R&D scale, pilot-scale and/or manufacturing scale bioprocess operations.
- You have run teams that have executed both upstream bioprocesses and downstream bioprocesses.
- You have experience improving operational KPIs, such as quality safety and/or productivity.
- You exhibit people-centric leadership and have grown teams to meet business demands.
In return, we will support you by:
- Placing a high degree of trust in your ideas and execution.
- Making ourselves available for collaboration.
- Caring about you as a whole person.
- Supporting your personal and professional growth.
Location & Schedule:
- This is an in-person role, we are looking for someone based near Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, with willingness to travel to the Bay Area approximately once per month.
- This person can also be based in the San Francisco area with willingness to travel to NC ~50% of the time
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA (prorated based on start-date)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- 3 weeks of accrued paid time off, 10 paid company holidays and a week-long winter break
- 12 weeks of parental leave at full salary
- Annual L&D stipend for conferences, continuing education, etc.
- WFH stipend of $500 for home office improvements
- For onsite employees:
- Commuter benefits
- Access to on-site child care facility, subject to availability
- Free onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, and gym (varies based on COVID-19 restrictions)
Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech and technology to apply.