Who we are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science, and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline, together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
Calico is seeking a Head of Project Team Leadership to develop and manage a group of Project Team Leaders to provide leadership and direction to the drug discovery and development pipeline compounds as they transition from candidate nomination through IND filing and early development through clinical Proof of Concept (cPOC). This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual excited by the prospect of developing drugs to novel targets across multiple indications. The successful candidate should have a proven track record in partnering with cross-functional stakeholders to successfully lead projects/programs teams through all stages of drug development and demonstrated experience developing, mentoring, and managing people.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and manage a team of Project Team Leaders supporting the pipeline compounds. The candidate will also be accountable for leading at least one project/program team
- Provide mentorship and guidance to the Project Team Leaders on their responsibilities and accountabilities for assigned programs. This includes stakeholder management and partnership to develop and refine the program’s strategic overview, timely and strategic cross-functional plans and decisions and present on behalf of the team to Calico’s Drug Development Review Committee (DDRC)
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders and collaborators, including functional leadership, Calico leadership, AbbVie leadership and PTLs to promote a collaborative and successful team dynamic with a high level of sustainable performance
- As appropriate, partner and/or lead in the establishment and improvement of processes to support the drug discovery and development portfolio
- Support PTLs through partnership with key stakeholders, including functional leadership, Finance, Calico and AbbVie leadership to ensure programs are appropriately resourced and in accordance with specified timelines and budgets
- Provide input into assessments of external opportunities for the drug discovery and development pipeline
- A PhD degree in life sciences or a scientific discipline related to drug development and/or an MD
- Biotech/pharmaceutical industry experience in drug development
- Successful track record of leading cross-functional projects/program teams across diverse therapeutic areas and drug modalities.
- Demonstrated, in-depth knowledge of the drug development processes and deliverables at all stages of development
- Experience leading projects/programs with external partners and collaborators
- Experience successfully developing and managing people and leaders
- Excellent leadership skills with exceptional decision making, organizational and analytical skills and the ability to lead through ambiguity
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills as well as a proven ability to build and maintain positive working relationship and promote collaborations
- Must be willing to work onsite at least three days per week
The estimated base salary range for this role is $400,000 - $420,000. Actual pay will be based on a number of factors including experience and qualifications. This position is also eligible for two annual cash bonuses.