Who We Are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science, and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline, together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
Calico is seeking an exceptional, experienced, and independent Senior Laboratory Operations Specialist, who will work within the Facilities and Operations group. The candidate will also work closely with the research groups and scientists, and with other functional groups at Calico.
Responsibilities will include:
- Personnel management
- Train and mentor personnel on the Operations team, including Lab Assistants
- Coordinate external Operations contractors and determine resources needed
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to reviewing and writing SOPs and protocols for all lab operations related processes and management of all documentation
- Lab management, including oversight of shared lab areas and equipment
- Lab equipment management
- Coordinate repairs and preventative maintenance with vendors
- Schedule installation of new lab equipment
- Independently identify and troubleshoot lab equipment related issues
- Oversight of purchasing service contracts
- Manage asset tag system of new incoming equipment
- Lab services management
- Coordination of onsite stockrooms (including vendor management)
- Orientation and onboarding for incoming research employees
- Strategic planning for future needs and processes
- Involvement in cross-functional roles within facilities and operations departments
- Intellectual property management
- Maintaining the laboratory notebook processes and systems
- Implementation, migration, and process creation and onboarding LIMS systems (Benchling preferred, but experience with other systems welcomed) with tools including but not limited to, ELN (electronic lab notebook) and sample management tracking while collaborating with multiple departments across the organization
- Reviewing and writing SOPs, protocols, and training guides for all related to LIMS processes and management
- Maintaining laboratory notebooks management processes and systems (physical and electronic) via regular internal auditing and record tracking
- Project management: Assist in managing and tracking ongoing and new projects within the Facilities and Operations team and cross-team projects with other functional groups
- Assistance with the implementation of systems to improve lab research resources
- BS degree in a related field
- 6+ years of experience in Operations in a laboratory environment, prior people/team management preferred
- Great communication skills (written and oral) and strong team player
- Ability to balance a broad range of organizational needs with appropriate attention to detail and focus on assigned tasks.
- Ability to handle Operations issues in a fast-paced environment with a customer-focused attitude
The estimated base salary range for this role is $128,000 - $136,000. Actual pay will be based on a number of factors including experience and qualifications. This position is also eligible for two annual cash bonuses.