Who we are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science, and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline, together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
The Director, Talent Acquisition will be responsible for the strategy, process and tools of TA in addition to delivering against annual recruiting goals. They will develop and guide Calico’s recruitment strategy, focusing on creating innovative sourcing and outreach strategies that result in diverse candidate pools, a top-notch candidate experience and using data analytics to continuously improve the process and outcomes. This person will be critical in helping scale the company from both a people and process perspective, with the goal of maintaining an exceptionally high bar for the talent we bring into the organization and the hiring processes we use to accomplish that end. This individual will report to the Head of HR and be a member of Calico’s HR Leadership team to ensure recruitment practices and programs support Calico’s research and business strategies, goals, values and culture.
- Maintain a recruitment strategy and supporting initiatives to build a full life-cycle process—from sourcing to onboarding--with an emphasis on talent pipeline development, to ensure we meet current and future workforce needs
- Build multiple and innovative ways to identify top talent, in addition to the effective use of social networking and academic research tools, as well as traditional sourcing techniques (e.g., company website, social media, job boards, career fairs, university relations and employee referrals)
- Coordinate all offer details and approvals with Senior Leadership
- Provide recruitment counsel and guidance to hiring managers and senior staff, including hiring and employment trends and competitive intelligence and research on the Biopharma industry and the Bay Area
- Develop and implement a set of strategic programs to communicate our “employer brand” (e.g., What is Calico? What does it take to work at Calico? What is it like to work at Calico?) in partnership with Corporate Communications to further enhance our ability to attract an optimal blend of skills across all functional areas
- Ensure appropriate use of metrics to assess recruiting status, including quality, diversity, hiring cycle time, cost per hire, turnover, competitive hiring measures, and new hire engagement measures
- Manage relocation and immigration programs and contractual relationships with contract recruiters, placement agencies, conference sponsors and internet job search sites
- Provide overall leadership, coaching and guidance to the internal and external recruiting staff to ensure they deliver on their goals and metrics and maintain a very high level of client satisfaction
- Bachelors or Master’s degree and 12-18 years of full life-cycle recruiting experience in Biotech/Pharma industry, preferably in Research/Early Discovery/Preclinical
- Demonstrated experience in building and scaling recruiting functions in a start-up environment and devising innovative strategies to source and build diverse talent pipelines
- Experience in utilizing applicant tracking systems (Greenhouse experience preferred) to support recruiting and reporting requirements
- Dedication to the highest level of quality in identifying top talent, providing exceptional client service and in building and maintaining an optimal candidate experience
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills - impeccable communications and attention to detail are critical competencies
- Strong leadership skills and a minimum of 5 years of people management experience
- Excellent business and quantitative acumen and demonstrated ability to use data and metrics to drive effectiveness in the recruiting process
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally, influence the organization at all levels and demonstrated savvy in advising and partnering with senior leaders
- Excellent project and program management skills with superior attention to detail
- Team player, proactive and willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
- Must be willing to work onsite at least three days per week
The estimated base salary range for this role is $249,000 - $254,000. Actual pay will be based on a number of factors including experience and qualifications. This position is also eligible for two annual cash bonuses.