Who We Are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science, and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline, together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
Calico is seeking Senior Research Associate/Principal Research Associate candidates who are excited to be part of a multi-disciplinary team focused on dissecting causal events in the cellular aging process, using yeast as a model system in the laboratory of Dan Gottschling (see publications here). Successful candidates must have a passion for using microscopes to interrogate biological systems and be adept at performing a variety of biological methods with exceptional competence and attention to detail.
- Develop and implement high throughput screening on a variety of platforms including automated microscopy, microfluidics, robotic handling, and FACS
- Employ modern molecular biology techniques, nucleic acid preparation/isolation; yeast cell culturing, strain construction and micro-dissection
- Work independently and with a team
- Some lab management organization/maintenance (5-10% time)
- BS degree with 4+ years or MS degree 2+ years of work experience (or equivalent - PhD not required) in molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, microbiology, bioengineering or related field
- Proficient in microscopy techniques and experienced in image analysis
- Adept at problem solving in the lab
- Interest and ability to learn new methods as needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills; be able to productively interact within and outside of Calico
- Communicate clearly and efficiently both verbally and in writing
- Must be willing to work onsite at least four days a week
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Experience working with budding yeast - S. cerevisiae
- Experience with microfluidics
- Ability to code in python, R or similar programming
- Familiarity with running high throughput screening platforms
The estimated base salary range for this role is $119,000 - $147,000. Actual pay will be based on a number of factors including experience and qualifications. This position is also eligible for two annual cash bonuses.
Calico requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Calico will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.