Who We Are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
Calico is seeking an Automation Group Lead to organize and lead an interdisciplinary, high-performing team of engineers with the aim of accelerating scientific discovery throughout Calico by implementing custom instrumentation solutions ranging from walk-up services to integrated systems to custom microfluidics platforms. The successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with research leaders throughout the company to identify key needs for which Automation may play an impactful role, develop and hire talented individuals to meet those needs, provide timely and expert technical guidance, provide direct technical contributions of their own, and drive project execution. Additionally, this individual will be expected to leverage experience and judgment to institute software and organizational best practices, and to assess when existing tools can be repurposed, when new equipment must be purchased, or when the in house invention & development of new technologies is warranted.
- B.S./M.S. in Engineering with 8+ yrs relevant experience, or a Ph.D. in a relevant discipline with 5+ yrs relevant experience
- Leadership in the laboratory automation space, and possessing familiarity with a broad range of hardware, software, and process solutions
- Track record of building and developing creative, high-performing, collaborative teams
- Demonstrated skill in strategic planning, including defining team goals and vision, and rapidly adjusting to follow the science
- Exemplary written & verbal communication skills, and an ability to inspire others
- Possessing of an “anything is possible” mentality, with experience creating brand-new tools or technologies when needed, and a willingness to roll up their sleeves
- Familiarity organizational best practices and tooling (e.g. Benchling), and skilled at nimbly adapting to change
- Basic knowledge of cell culture, assay development, and other wet lab processes
- Must be willing to work onsite four days a week
The estimated base salary range for this role is $187,000 - $221,000. Actual pay will be based on a number of factors including experience and qualifications. This position is also eligible for two annual cash bonuses.
Calico requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Calico will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.