Who We Are:
Calico (Calico Life Sciences LLC) is an Alphabet-founded research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies and model systems to increase our understanding of the biology that controls human aging. Calico will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Calico’s highly innovative technology labs, its commitment to curiosity-driven discovery science and, with academic and industry partners, its vibrant drug-development pipeline, together create an inspiring and exciting place to catalyze and enable medical breakthroughs.
Calico is seeking an expert Data Scientist to join our multidisciplinary team of mass spectrometrists, biologists and computer scientists to become an integral part of our solution for metabolomics and lipidomics experiments.
At Calico we’re producing substantial mass spectrometry data related to metabolomics and lipidomics, including LC-QQQ-MS, LC-HRMS, and direct-infusion-MS data modalities to support experiments ranging from custom one-offs to large cohort studies and spanning models that include yeast, tissue culture, and in vivo systems. This role will work collaboratively with members of the Metabolomics group, the Computing team, and the broader research organization to design experiments, get the most out of the data generated to improve biological understanding, and contribute to changes in the analytical methods that will lead to improved data generation. The ideal candidate is someone who sees themselves as adept at mass spectrometry data analysis and thrives when given space to innovate. This role will have the support of a multidisciplinary team that includes engineers, physicists, biochemists, biologists, machine learning experts, software engineers, and data analysts.
- Work with scientists throughout R&D to design experiments and contribute to the analysis of the resulting data
- Develop new methods for the analysis and visualization of metabolomics and lipidomics data to enhance biological insights, and implement them for use by others (preferably in R) as needed
- Assess and implement external software solutions as needed to complement in-house software
- Apply cutting-edge statistical methods to derive robust & reproducible biological insights
- Empower and coach fellow scientists on their own experimental analysis needs
- Ph.D. with 1-2 years or M.S. with 5+ years B.S. with 7+ years relevant data science and software development experience
- Experience working with mass spectrometry data
- Biology and metabolism background sufficient to guide and inform analysis approaches
- Successful track record of performing data analysis on biological data sets to extract additional biological understanding
- Experience applying statistical and machine learning methods
- Extremely collaborative, with a mentality of trying to add value to many projects across Calico
- Must be willing to work onsite three days a week
- Familiarity with externally available mass spectrometry and metabolism-related software tools
- Experience in joining metabolomics data with other data modalities, including proteomics and genomics
- Knowledge of in silico representations of metabolism, such as genome-scale metabolic models
- Comfort with additional programming languages (e.g., Python, SQL, Julia)
The estimated base salary range for this role is $134,000 - $172,000. Actual pay will be based on a number of factors including experience and qualifications. This position is also eligible for two annual cash bonuses.
Calico requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Calico will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.